Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

T

his is the set up of the Weapon R secret weapon intake. It comes with the whole intake including the ram air part. Very easy set up it took me about one hour. The ram air goes where the original ram air tube goes but I continued to extend the tube to just behing the bumper under the engine.
The escape feels with the engine more relaxed and it has improve acceleration. I have not have the time to verified the MPG. What I am goint to do is a heat shield with some sheet metal that I can get at work. I bought this in racinglab.com for $198 plus free ground shipping

[mod]Moved to Powertrain Mods.[/mod]

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
A before and after dyno would have been good as well to determine how well it improves the engine's power. :thumb:

I have never been a proponet of intake tubes due to the computer adjusting the engine to compensate for the improved air flow. So, it winds up you probably won't realize any valueable results in performance :shrug: . It is good for show and go however for sure :thumb: . Polished aluminum sheetmetal would be nice for building your filter box :yes: . Good luck on building a neat one. I don't have the talent. When I took metal shop years ago all my work looked like it was distressed material when I was finished. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats why when installing something new in the car you disconnect the battery so when you start again the computer starts learning your driving and adjust for the new airflow that is coming in because it was reset so it learns again the dinamycs.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Where does the intake end up? It doesn't look like a ram air intake to me.

And like Jonas said, the computer will always adjust for optimum fuel mixture so you likely don't get any gains in power, but a less restrictive intake can give you better throttle response which feels like power.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Squishy said:
less restrictive intake can give you better throttle response which feels like power.
That's true, you will get some better tip in response when your accelerating or when you need to pass a slower vehicle. It'll feel much more responsive, and less numb than stock. And that's a good thing! :yes:

·
Registered
333 Posts
I put an AEM intake on my 2001 Focus, and it DID make the car more powerfull, especially when I bought a 65mm Throttle body. My fuel economy stayed the same, but my engine responded faster, and it made more power at 3/4-WOT. I know this, because I'd have to shift to 2nd and 3rd gear faster than I did without these changes, and even without a tuner chip done. At the very least, the Weapon R on the 2.3 should give the engine a deeper and more aggresive intake sound.

Any more drive time with the intake yet?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After having the intake on for a couple of weeks I have notice that the fuel milage has improve my last tank was 390 miles and it took 14.09 gallons back in so it was about 27. something miles per gallon. I was getting between 25 and 26. And this is mostly highway, city and mountain driving. My escape is also a 5 speed.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
josean said:
After having the intake on for a couple of weeks I have notice that the fuel milage has improve my last tank was 390 miles and it took 14.09 gallons back in so it was about 27. something miles per gallon. I was getting between 25 and 26. And this is mostly highway, city and mountain driving. My escape is also a 5 speed.
Ohh exactly what I was looking for. I got a 2.3L auto 4x4 escape just for my DD/winter car so I want the best mileage possible. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
josean - you didnt happen to get a xcal3 as well did you? Just wondering on the added benefits on top of that to get more mpg's.

·
Registered
26 Posts
jonas1022 said:
I have never been a proponet of intake tubes due to the computer adjusting the engine to compensate for the improved air flow. So, it winds up you probably won't realize any valueable results in performance :shrug: .

Uh, yeah, the computer "compensates" by adding more fuel to the the now-greater amount of air the engine is able to pump in, which increases power output. That's the name of the performance game.
IT DOESN'T NEGATE ANY GAINS BY COMPENSATING IT AWAY!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Squishy said:
Where does the intake end up? It doesn't look like a ram air intake to me.

And like Jonas said, the computer will always adjust for optimum fuel mixture so you likely don't get any gains in power, but a less restrictive intake can give you better throttle response which feels like power.
---------------------------------------------
Jonas was wrong and so are you. There will be power gains AND the computer will adjust for the proper fuel ratio under all operating conditions, taking into account the engine's greater potential airflow (up to the point where you exceed the computer and hardware's upper limit for fuel delivery, which shouldn't happen with only bolt-on mods) The computer will do this automatically over several drive cycles, or sometimes you can jump start the change by resetting the computer (killing power) which makes it start from scratch with no memory of any prior adjustments it had made for thousands of prior miles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Davis137 said:
I put an AEM intake on my 2001 Focus, and it DID make the car more powerfull, especially when I bought a 65mm Throttle body. My fuel economy stayed the same, but my engine responded faster, and it made more power at 3/4-WOT. I know this, because I'd have to shift to 2nd and 3rd gear faster than I did without these changes, and even without a tuner chip done. At the very least, the Weapon R on the 2.3 should give the engine a deeper and more aggresive intake sound.

Any more drive time with the intake yet?
---------------
This is common evidence of what I explained in my above two posts.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Ive gotten better mileage from air intakes on the last 4 of my cars...when I was able to take the time to actually drive normally.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I miss ICEMAN intakes. They were the best by far.
Non-heat transmitting durable composite tubing.
The one I had for my Avenger put the filter right behind my fog lamp opening in the lower left of the bumper = cold ram air
The end of the tube was 4" and gradually/smoothly reduced to 2 1/4" at the throttle body.
Not a better performance design in my opinion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts