Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched for something like this on the forums and didn't find anything, so I apologize if this is a redundant post.

Suddenly, when I use my right-turn signal, the dashboard indicator blinks twice as fast as it should. Usually this just means that one of the lights is out so I didn't think too much about it. Then my niece told me that my brake light is out as well. Hmm.

I checked the bulbs and re-seated them. I checked the fuse (though, since there is only one fuse for all signals, I didn't think this would be it, as the left signals work just fine). I looked through the manual to see if there was anything that relates to a relay which goes to the right-rear lights but didn't see anything.

The only suspicious thing I found was that the wiring, as it comes through the rubber "stopper" that resides in the frame behind the housing, is taped with electrical wire. I didn't have the time to check the other housing, but I'll update tomorrow after I check it.

I adjusted the tilt-steering to see if there was a connection issue with the switch there, but I don't think that is it, since the front signal works just fine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
438 Posts
You said you checked your bulbs. Did you check them just visually or did you get them to illuminate using another source.
I would replace the bulbs first, or try the bulbs in the other side.
I found this info that might help.

Inspect bulbs and replace failed bulbs as needed. If you have replaced the bulb and it still blinks fast, plus the bulb does not illuminate properly the ground circuit inside the bulb socket has failed. To repair this condition remove the bulb socket and replace with new.

But since both bulbs are out on that side, I suspect you might have a bad ground wire on that side. Inspect the wiring again that you found taped up.
Did you buy the car used? Being an '08 is it still under warranty?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you check them just visually or did you get them to illuminate using another source.
No, I just checked the filaments visually.

I will plug them into the left-side tomorrow to see.

What are the odds that both signal and brake would fail at the same time?

Thanks for the input, I'll update tomorrow after I dig a little deeper.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Yeah thats right I had to cut out the old sockets and put in new ones in a Cavalier that had same symptoms and if left untreated could start a fire.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
In 2008+ Escapes, the turn signal is the SAME bulb as the brake. There wasn't any amber bulb seen on previous Escapes (01-07). Sounds like you just need a new bulb. Brake lights are dual filament bulbs: one filament lights for the driving lights when you have your headlights on, the other one lights up when you activate your turn signal or hit the brakes. If the second one is out, that might explain the hyperblink. Your bulb might still work with your headlights but not with the brakes.

Wonder if that's your situation.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I just got the same thing, on the left side. I just assume I need a new bulb. I have lights, but no brake/turn signal. I automaticcly assumed 1 bulb, 2 fillament.

My question is, the manual says 4157K, when I pulled the bulb (to have in hand at the store) it's marked 3147k :confused:

What's the difference? Should I check the right side too?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ah these are the things that drive us parts boys and girls nuts. Kharybdis, I think you mean a 3157K. '08 to current Escapes take the "new" 4157K bulbs. To what I can gather, the difference between 3157K and 4157K is the 3157K is rated to pull 2.1 Amps and the 4157K is rated to pull 2.3 Amps.

The bulbs are the same but the 4157K is rated to pull an additional 200ma. The 4157K has double the life of the 3157K too. 4000 hrs compared to 2000 hrs. I also wonder if there is a heat difference. I would stick with what it says in the manual. The Ford part number is 6E5Z-13466-AC and at any chain parts store should list 4157K or similar.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thanks. The store had bot a 4157 & 3157, they looked the same, but it didn't list the A or W just 12V (duh!)

So I grabbed the manual # 4157, but it's LL not K, I assume "long Life".

Plugged in, normal blink rate :D

Even stepped back tonight to compare the 2 sides, they look the same brightness to me. So who knows why it came from the factory with a 3 not a 4 :confused:

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
13 Posts
My uncle who is also driving a Ford Escape also did encounter this problem a while ago. At first, it was only the right-signal that is blinking fast. My uncle just ignore it but after some days, it was the left-signal that blinks faster and the right-signal was back to normal. So he decided to bring it to a mechanic. The mechanic check it and it was some faulty wiring in the combination switch. After that, both the right and left signal are back to normal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts