Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Rola roof rack for my Escape from a company called Red Trailers (redtrailers.com) which I assumed was located in the US given their contact info on their website. However it seems though that RedTrailer has a warehouse in Canada as my rack was shipped from Ontario so all I was charged was GST and it came via Purolator not UPS...end result was it cost me $270 Cdn to my door and that includes the middle extension section.

I'll took some pictures of it now that I have it mounted and so far I'm impressed with the build quality. I removed the front "Rola" decal and I plan on buying vinyl sticker letters to write ESCAPE across the air dam instead. I'm debating though on if I should make the Escape stencil small and put it in the corner or to go big and fill the whole fairing...thoughts?

and here's how I used the mounting bracket. I flipped the plastic piece upside down so that it didn't lift the rack any higher then necessary.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
You could try a signage store and buy the lettering in vynl. I have one down the street from my home and it was quite reasonable. One of the guys/technicans applied them for free! A one time thing isn't bad. Stencils are for doing multiple issues of the same lettering imho. And lack a certain quality.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's what I meant. I've got quotes between 12 to 28 to do what I want so the price isn't to bad.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
How about your screen name in the same font as here, and Escape in smaller Ford correct lettering in the lower corner...That would make you totally mysterious. Know what I mean Vern?

The Stigs'
Escape

Or not! :doh:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm considering getting a custom license plate that reads either TopGear or TheStig. The Rola's faring isn't as large as Thules or Yakima's so i'm not sure I could put too much lettering up there otherwise it'd have to be a pretty small font.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
It is a good looking rack, and your right. Lower profile is alround better! Looks like it belongs there. A technican that I work with had a Camry with a Yakima rack on it. And it stuck up like ten inches...D'oh! It came with the car, and he was too lazy to remove it. For five years.... :taz:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agreed. The lower profile was one of the big selling features...that and its only $149 vs $$$ for Thule or Yakima :)

·
Super Moderator
14,901 Posts
TheStig said:
I just purchased a Rola roof rack for my Escape from a company called Red Trailers (redtrailers.com) which I assumed was located in the US given their contact info on their website. However it seems though that RedTrailer has a warehouse in Canada as my rack was shipped from Ontario so all I was charged was GST and it came via Purolator not UPS...end result was it cost me $270 Cdn to my door and that includes the middle extension section.

I'll took some pictures of it now that I have it mounted and so far I'm impressed with the build quality. I removed the front "Rola" decal and I plan on buying vinyl sticker letters to write ESCAPE across the air dam instead. I'm debating though on if I should make the Escape stencil small and put it in the corner or to go big and fill the whole fairing...thoughts?

and here's how I used the mounting bracket. I flipped the plastic piece upside down so that it didn't lift the rack any higher then necessary.
In another thread I asked if it was a ROLA, but now I see it is. I have one also and mounted it the same way. The ROLA sticker peels off quickly, so it was a good idea to take it off. Have you thought of using any of the standard "Escape" stickers/decals already out there?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would consider it if they were cheap enough. The only one I saw on eBay was $20 when shipping was factored in which is more then what a local sign shop would charge...but given the sign shops are only open 9-4 on weekdays and not weekends going online would be a lot easier.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
That looks really sharp! I think that having ESCAPE really big covering the whole fairing would be awesome looking.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As promised here's a couple of photo's of the fairing with ESCAPE written across the front. I got the vinyl decal from eBay. The guy I got it from sells one thats 40" across but he did a custom one for me that was smaller. Well worth the $10.

I took the fairing off to install the decal and it appeared straight on my counter top but when installed its got a curved look to it. I think I'd have preferred it look straight but its alright as is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Next up is to apply one of these.

and then install the trailer hitch I picked up last week

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just a quick update....I placed an order for the brake cover but it never did arrive so I would not recommend dealing with that company.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts