Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm lost on what size I need. Must have enough space overhead for a family of four's camping paraphernalia...sleeping bags, tent, gear. Rear cargo, of course, went to the dogs :pug: :pug:
Any experiences with a specific make and size, fill me in.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I maybe wrong on this, but the roof is only rated for up to 100 pounds. A tent and paraphenalia will exceed that. Maybe a little trailer would be a better bet. If you go that route, the Escape can tow up to 3500#. A pretty fair size camper... ;)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jonas1022 said:
I maybe wrong on this, but the roof is only rated for up to 100 pounds. A tent and paraphenalia will exceed that. Maybe a little trailer would be a better bet. If you go that route, the Escape can tow up to 3500#. A pretty fair size camper... ;)
Thanks for the input. I thought it looked beefier than that.
I weighed my tent & stove, together under 30 lbs. Sleeping bags are light. Stuff adds up though. Might be under 100lb with careful placement. Dogs said they would love riding up there, but my big lab almost maxes it out. ;)
Trailer is out for lumpy roads, maybe one of those hitch platforms.
More thought needed.

·
Super Moderator
4,741 Posts
I have one of those roof mount travel bags that hold alot of stuff. Two good size suit cases, three sleeping bags, two aero bed queen matteresses, back pack, fishing tackle and a few other odds and ends with no trouble.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool..is it fairly weather resistant?

·
Super Moderator
4,741 Posts
They claim water resistant, so to be on the safe side I put anything I don't want to get wet in garbage bags. I've only had water get in there once. That was coming back from Canada the whole trip back was pouring rain and nothing got wet that was in garbage bags. Coming back from Maine we hit a few short showers with nothing getting wet.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
weebee said:
I have one of those roof mount travel bags that hold alot of stuff. Two good size suit cases, three sleeping bags, two aero bed queen matteresses, back pack, fishing tackle and a few other odds and ends with no trouble.

i have one of them as well. i had a fiberglass one but it was a pain to set up and take off. the bag one with the straps works great. ive used mine easily for 3-4000km's so far.

·
Registered
758 Posts
You can obtain aftermarket roof rails via Thule/Yakima and carry more than 100lbs. These companies offer hard shell cargo boxes in various sizes that are weather proof. The newest versions attach with quick release clamps. I have never had issues with leakage. Drawback will be cost, additional noise and a hit on fuel economy. Another possibility is a rear hitch mounted cargo box or even softshell container. Easier loading height and not much of a hit on fuel economy. You do need a hitch installed on your vehicle for this purpose.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Billy,

I hope this information isn't too late-

I wrote a little bit about the core system in this ski/bike rack thread, but the Yakima system is universally compatible with any yakima product and I would recommend to anyone looking for simplicity.
http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1386&p=29140#p29140

Just find a box that fits your needs instead of the bike/ski accessories and you're in business. bars and towers might cost about $260ish, and box starts around $250

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
weebee said:

This was the most sensible choice for us, and thanks for the tip. I found an ultra cheap-O, 36 X 36" at a local sporting goods store. With a little preplanning, everything fits. I'm happy. The wife and kids are happy. The dogs are happy. We're off to the mountains until Thursday, assuming the food, and adult beverages :beer: hold out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts