Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems simple - the cross bar on my 2009 roof rack is rattling on one side. It appears that the horizontal bar hooks into a bracket that sits in the channel, and is held there with 2 allen screws. It is rattling in this bracket and I have tried to tighten these allen screws to stop it, but they appear to be as tight as they can get. Any ideas?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Sounds like the screw could be bottoming out. Have you tried putting a shim like a rubber grommet or rubber o-ring on the screw to get it to push down some more?

·
Registered
142 Posts
The cross bars are held onto the roof rack rails with the tie-down eyelet. Turn the eyelet counterclockwise to loosen the cross bars (to slide them fore and aft) and turn clockwise to tighten the cross bars in place.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MichaelJD1980 said:
The cross bars are held onto the roof rack rails with the tie-down eyelet. Turn the eyelet counterclockwise to loosen the cross bars (to slide them fore and aft) and turn clockwise to tighten the cross bars in place.
It is actually the cross bar itself, not where it connects to the rails. It is a 3 piece system - connector, bar, connector, and it is the bar-connector part that is rattling, and driving me nuts!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
kmoose said:
MichaelJD1980 said:
It is actually the cross bar itself, not where it connects to the rails. It is a 3 piece system - connector, bar, connector, and it is the bar-connector part that is rattling, and driving me nuts!
There are distinct notches for the cross bar. Are you sure you not solidly in one of them? It's been some time since I moved mine, so maybe that's not possible. I removed mine since they hamper good snow removal. I had a sheet of wet snow slide off the roof twice, one time almost blocking my entire view and also jammed the wipers at the same time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts