Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I found another issue with my 2012 Ford Escape Limited. I was changing my tires from winter to summer when i noticed there was a hole in the front sub frame.

This looks unsafe but not too bad, I did some research and found out that there is an issue with the ac drain pouring water all over that passenger side sub frame causing it to rot out. Any suggestions on finding a replacement? Have you guys replaced with a used sub frame or bought a new one? Prices are varying in Canada between 450 dollars new to 650 dollars.

For safetys sake I think I should have this addressed asap. Is there anything else you guys think I should be looking out for. i was thinking of replacing the whole front suspension while I am getting this work done. Full front struts, lower control arms, sway bar bushings, stabilizer bars, tie rods. CV Shafts have been replaced when I bought the car. The way that this passed safety is past me with subframe rot like this.

Vertebrate Automotive tire Mammal Organism Wood

·
Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
495 Posts
Hey guys,

I found another issue with my 2012 Ford Escape Limited. I was changing my tires from winter to summer when i noticed there was a hole in the front sub frame.

This looks unsafe but not too bad, I did some research and found out that there is an issue with the ac drain pouring water all over that passenger side sub frame causing it to rot out. Any suggestions on finding a replacement? Have you guys replaced with a used sub frame or bought a new one? Prices are varying in Canada between 450 dollars new to 650 dollars.

For safetys sake I think I should have this addressed asap. Is there anything else you guys think I should be looking out for. i was thinking of replacing the whole front suspension while I am getting this work done. Full front struts, lower control arms, sway bar bushings, stabilizer bars, tie rods. CV Shafts have been replaced when I bought the car. The way that this passed safety is past me with subframe rot like this.
AC drain is behind, not source of problem. Clean evap water will not corrode like that. I dont think I would have passed it either.

rot looks extensive.
I would not continue driving it, failure looks imminent. Dont know your mileage, but if you got the dough I would do a complete rebuild... it is hard to say what other issues may become apparent. I bet you will find more rot though.
I don't know if that was you talking about rebuilding rear shock upper mounts recently, but I would inspect those as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AC drain is behind, not source of problem. Clean evap water will not corrode like that. I dont think I would have passed it either.

rot looks extensive.
I would not continue driving it, failure looks imminent. Dont know your mileage, but if you got the dough I would do a complete rebuild... it is hard to say what other issues may become apparent. I bet you will find more rot though.
I don't know if that was you talking about rebuilding rear shock upper mounts recently, but I would inspect those as well.
The mileage is 157,000 kms. Ill drive my Mercury Cougar in the mean time. I got a brand new subframe for 465 CAD, Ill go the rebuild route. I spent 8.8k on the car 6 months ago, so far I had to replace the driveshaft for excessive vibration and bought new winter and summer tires. Is there any bolts I would need to purchase to do this job? Is there any one time use bolts I need to order as well?

·
Registered
193 Posts
There are a couple of youtube vids about the replacement of an Escape front subframe. I see slight differences between your subframe and the one on my 2005, but it looks like family. The rust where the control arm front bushing is tied is scary. More than half of the metal is gone. You found a new one at a good price. If you still want to use it for short rides, get the crossbar kit from the recall made for the 2001-2004 ones. It will not prevent any breakage, but it will not kill you or someone else if the k-frame breaks. Ford says that the problem is solved from 2005 on...

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Seriously, did you Carfax? The way that rot looks, I have seen that on sunken ships.
I don't want to be a negative Nelly.

I will recommend not driving it anymore, I do not agree with Mario(no offense my friend ) sticking the Band-Aid brace on it.

The rot on the rest of the frame/body must look the same. ) :
Sorry Shadow, I am sure that is not what you want to hear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seriously, did you Carfax? The way that rot looks, I have seen that on sunken ships.
I don't want to be a negative Nelly.

I will recommend not driving it anymore, I do not agree with Mario(no offense my friend ) sticking the Band-Aid brace on it.

The rot on the rest of the frame/body must look the same. ) :
Sorry Shadow, I am sure that is not what you want to hear.
I always do a Carfax, it came out clean but not everything gets reported.

I don't mind fixing it, just looking for advice on this. Do you know if it needs new bolts? If so which bolts does it need?

The body doesn't have rust on it. Just that subframe is rotten from what I see. I removed the spare tire and looked under there. The rear sub frame has some surface rust. The sheet metal of the car still has the factory colour on it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
I always do a Carfax, it came out clean but not everything gets reported.

I don't mind fixing it, just looking for advice on this. Do you know if it needs new bolts? If so which bolts does it need?

The body doesn't have rust on it. Just that subframe is rotten from what I see. I removed the spare tire and looked under there. The rear sub frame has some surface rust. The sheet metal of the car still has the factory colour on it.
I am not aware of any single use fasteners, I would spend a week shooting a penetrating oil daily on all bolts before you attempt it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not aware of any single use fasteners, I would spend a week shooting a penetrating oil daily on all bolts before you attempt it.
Work complete, everything went smoothly, bolts came out with no issues, I sprayed them down with PB Blaster a few days before. I got the new bolts from ford, I was only able to get the front bolts but they came out no issues.

Part Number for front bolts are W714402 S439
Part Number for rear bolts are W500749 S439
Part Number for the Subframe 9L8Z 5C145 A
Control Arm L & R - MCSOE 32 and MCSOE 33

I also replaced the lower control arms, sway bar bushings, and sway bar end links. The rack and pinion were fine so I didn't have to mess with anything there. I got an alignment done after and I can report that everything is quiet, smooth, and stable.
Automotive tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bumper Bicycle frame Rim

Hood Automotive tire Green Motor vehicle Bicycle part

Automotive tire Asphalt Motor vehicle Road surface Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Work complete, everything went smoothly, bolts came out with no issues, I sprayed them down with PB Blaster a few days before. I got the new bolts from ford, I was only able to get the front bolts but they came out no issues.

Part Number for front bolts are W714402 S439
Part Number for rear bolts are W500749 S439
Part Number for the Subframe 9L8Z 5C145 A
Control Arm L & R - MCSOE 32 and MCSOE 33

I also replaced the lower control arms, sway bar bushings, and sway bar end links. The rack and pinion were fine so I didn't have to mess with anything there. I got an alignment done after and I can report that everything is quiet, smooth, and stable.
thank you for the update, shadow

Reactions: Shadow212121

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey wow I am truly impressed! Did you have access to a lift, or have you done it on the ground? I am sure that a video of this job would have become a very popular one.
Had access to a hoist. It was really easy to do. 3 hours and it was good but what really helped was that I had replacement suspension parts on hand so I didn't have to be careful about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts