Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.. it seems that our Escape has developed the dreaded "rough idle when cold" disease that I've read so much about.

I've checked all the usual suspects..cleaned the MAF sensor, cleaned the IAC valve, checked all hoses and tubes for vacuum leaks...the problem still exists and is slowly getting worse. As soon as the engine warms up..it idles as smooth as silk.

I'm pretty much convinced I've got a bad inlet gasket somewhere, so I've bought a new set of gaskets (plus new spark plugs) and am ready to do the job. Of course I'd prefer it if the problem was only an upper gasket but as long as I'm doing the job I'll replace both upper and lower to cover all bases.

I'm not a mechanic and have never done this before...so all advice will be gratefully accepted :) I do have the Haynes manual and have read plenty of how-to articles so I think I'll be ok with it. I sure hope so because we're planning a road trip in a week or so and it would help if the Escape was actually mobile :)

If anyone has any tips for me, please feel free to let me know.

One more thing... if you're in Australia (as I am) and you're looking for the gasket set, including upper and lower, IAC and throttle body..do NOT contact your friendly Ford or Mazda dealer. The price will absolutely astound you!!!! And I'm talking HUNDREDS of $$$$'s. Do what I did and buy online from our friends in the States...mine were from Rock Auto, but there are plenty of places to buy where the cost including freight is way under $50.

Oh...another thing that might slow me down a little is that I've just had a bit of surgery (gall bladder removal) so leaning over the engine pulling out bits and pieces might be a bit of pain in more ways than one :) But..you gotta do what you gotta do, right?

·
Registered
274 Posts
If that is the original IAC in your ride, I would highly recommend getting a new part. It was redesigned at some point. When I replaced mine quite a few years ago (I have 2002 Escape), I compared the internals of the old and the new and they were very different. Haven't had a drop of trouble since replacing it and I have never cleaned it either.

Oh, and Google this exact phrase "How to replace your V-6 Escape's spark plugs" for some good info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a Mazda Tribute & I just had that problem. We replaced the lower air intake gasket & they fixed that problem. I just wanted to let you know. I'm not sure if you have already fixed it or not, but wanted to help :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Best advice I can give is be CAREFUL. I know, it's obvious. Some of the plastic clips and what not are very fragile at this point and are VERY brittle. Also, make sure you cover the intake holes. Something drops down in there and you're gonna have a bad day. It's pretty easy work. Make sure while you've got it all apart to just nose around a little bit and make sure all your vacuum hoses are in good shape. Just for S&G, replace the PCV valve since you're in there. Good luck.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to those who offered advice.
I had a friend (mechanic) do the work for me and I'm glad I did. The problem was that one of the lower intake gaskets was leaking, so after replacing all lower and upper gaskets as well as all sparkplugs the engine purrs like a kitten. Fuel consumption and performance both improved noticeably as well.
Of course...as you'll see in my other post today I had a tranny failure while vacationing...but that is another story.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts