Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Escape has been idoling rough lately.. I got codes 171 and 174? I believe those are the two as I don't have the code reader in front of me.. Those codes would be "System to lean (bank a) and System too lean (Bank b)". I have replaced the IAC to no avail.. Then tried replacing upper intake gaskets and changed all the pulgs while I was in there.. Still had a rough idol.. So I figured to try a new air filter, and that also did not help. I am now getting codes 400 and 404? As I said, I do not have the reader in front of me.. Those are Misfire in cylinder 6 codes.. Any relation between the two (Rough idol and misfire)? I guess a coil pack could cause the misfire, or a bad spark plug. I'm lost on the rough idol though.. It's getting too much air in the system somrwhere. Perhaps the lower intake gaskets? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
You can spray propane or brake cleaner around parts of the engine bay to pinpoint your vacuum leak. Avoid delicate plastic bits if you decide to spray the brake cleaner or other strong solvents.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think it's a vacuum leak. I'd most likely hear it, and I have dug through the engine bay looking for one. I'm pretty sure the misfire code is from the vehicles rough idol, and that it is causing the engine to misfire, thus the misfire codes pop up. I know I'm getting air into the engine somewhere, so my best guess is the lower intake gaskets since i've pretty much counted out a vacuum leak and I have replaced the IAC, Air Filter, and Upper Intake Gaskets. I've read up a lot too about people having misfire codes relating to a rough idol.. And i'd say about 30% of the time, it's the lower intake gaskets. Most of the time, it's the idol air control or the brake booster vacuum leak.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
A leaking intake gasket would be a vacuum leak. Since everything is routed to individual cylinders past the intake manifold, and you are throwing a lean code on both banks, I think the leak is happening before the manifold.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, you're right, haha.. It is a vacuum leak.. I guess I meant a line or something.
Anywho, I went ahead last night and changed the Lower Intake Gaskets and the problem is solved. I guess I didn't need Upper Intake Gaskets, an IAC, or an Air Filter, but hey.. I guess It's good I replaced them anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts