Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My wife's 2006 V-6 Escape started running a little rough. Mainly stumbling on acceleration. It is worse in cold weather. An emissions service required light came on. It would go back out after a few minutes. A couple of days ago, it came on and stayed on. The car rolled over 75K about 13 miles after the light came on for good. All this according to my wife. I have not had a chance to look at or drive the car since she informed me of all this.

Anyone have suggestions or hints. I am thinking coil pack. Our dealer does not have a good rep, so I hate to have her take it in unless we have no choice.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Welcome to E-C!

I had the exact same problem on my 2002 Explorer. It was a DPFE valve, and my dealer replaced it in ten minutes. Mine was under warranty (both Ford and federal emissions), and Ford later issued a recall for that valve.

If this happened suddenly, and not gradually over several weeks, it's probably the same thing on your Escape.

Can you take your Escape to Autozone or Pep Boys to get the code? If you can get the code, I can tell you what the code means and what needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
390 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^
What JP says!
P0401 (EGR flow insufficient) and the P0402 (EGR flow excessive), can't remeber which one mine was throwing, I think the 0402. Replacing the DPFE valve, not the egr can be a real time and $$ saver. Takes only minutes and valve failure typical to Escapes.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Yes.

There's no DPFE sensor (which I should have said instead of "valve") on the 4-cylinder models.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to take so long in getting back.

The problem went away, so I thought I would take the opportunity to get a decent tester, which I really need for another vehicle, rather than just take the Escape to an auto parts store to get it read. I bought a laptop based code reader/analyzer and found P0304 stored. There were no other codes.

Right now I am assuming it was a moisture issue involving the coil pack. We had a ton of rain just prior to the first occurrence of misfiring.

The analyzer provided all kinds of information regarding the vehicle state at the time the code was thrown, including speed, RPM, throttle position, intake air temperature, and a bunch of other stuff. My wife was kind of surprised when I told her how fast she was going when the last miss occurred. :bust:

She wanted to know what else her car knew about her, so I told her it knew she had bought a Mocha Grande at Starbucks at 20,058 miles. It took her a couple of seconds. :lol:

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
zzford said:
She wanted to know what else her car knew about her, so I told her it knew she had bought a Mocha Grande at Starbucks at 20,058 miles. It took her a couple of seconds.
:lol: Good one...

Just curious... what software did you buy to read the codes? I was thinking of getting a code reader because of an issue I've been having. The laptop based solution sounds interesting. Thx.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RobtRoma said:
zzford said:
She wanted to know what else her car knew about her, so I told her it knew she had bought a Mocha Grande at Starbucks at 20,058 miles. It took her a couple of seconds.
:lol: Good one...

Just curious... what software did you buy to read the codes? I was thinking of getting a code reader because of an issue I've been having. The laptop based solution sounds interesting. Thx.
I bought this product. I used the base product on the Escape. I did not buy the Ford enhanced module, but I may add it later if needed.

http://www.autoenginuity.com/

·
Registered
191 Posts
jpark said:
There's no DPFE sensor .... on the 4-cylinder models.
Actually, there is. My 02 Escape XLS I-4 just threw a 1401 code which is for the DPFE sennsor circuit high voltage (whatever that means). I'm currently trying to locate one, if I can find a dealership here that has one in stock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts