Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it never fails, when I ride my motorcycle to work and come home then need to go do something in my Escape I always hear a few sounds at startup. Keep in mind that the Escape has to be sitting outside all day in direct sunlight for these sounds to happen.

For consistency sake I would go out to start my vehicle at 5pm after a day of sitting out in the hot sun. AC is turned off during startup. When I crank over the engine, just as it fires up the start seems to be very rough, almost a grinding noise but not really. It mostly sounds like the internals are stuck in their position and are having a hard time moving at startup. This happens for just a split second at startup. Then when I go to turn on the AC, once the compressor engages I hear a metal grinding noise coming from the compressor. Any normal person would say to themselves that this doesn't sound right...

Took it into the dealership and let it stay overnight and went there afterwork to duplicate the sound for a technician. On our way over to my Escape he told me he thinks he already knows what it is and thinks that it is normal but wanted to take a listen just in case. The technician and the service guy at the desk came with us. I started it, sure enough made the rough startup noise. Turned on the AC, the compressor grinded when it engaged and the service assistant jumped back cuz of the grinding noise. I got out of the Escape and the technician agreed with his previous statement that it is completely normal.

I asked why he thinks that is normal cuz to me a grinding noise is not normal. He told me that he has serviced other vehicles before that had the same problem, and something putting in the rebuilt parts made the noise worse. He mentioned that his wife's car does the exact same thing (I'm assuming it is a Ford) and she yells at him all the time saying it is broken lol. he said unfortunately the way that the compressors are designed it makes that noise at startup and that is how they are supposed to work only when it has been sitting for a period of time. He told me not to worry about it. He then started complimenting me on how my Escape looks and likes what I have done with it. Said it is one of the sharpest Escapes he has seen :)

The tech then told me something awesome...he gave me his name and told me to come in just before the 36,000 mile mark and tell them my belt is squeaking on cold startups and he will put a new belt on for me and have Ford pay for it. Now THAT my friends is service! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Hmmmm. Without actually hearing the noise I will defer to them. But if it's annoying to you, maybe you should check out another technican at another dealership?

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the 2nd tech that said the same thing. I thought the first one was just an idiot...well I will still say that :)

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
HMMM! It sounds unusual to me. Had my escape for two years now. The car has been parked in my employers car park all day during extremely hot days. Everytime i start the engine there has never ever been a rough start. When i set up the air conditioner there is no grind sound. Of course it is up to you what course of action is deemed necessary.

I agree with the other person ,that it may be prudent to seek other technicians advice. Hope i am not offending as it is just an opinion. Quite definite that i never have a grinding noise from my a/c compressor.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
My son's ZX2 has a compressor and valvetrain noise that sounds like a bucket full of bolts rolling down the hill. Everything is still working after nearly 200K miles and no real maintenance. We have our fingers crossed. Just the same, you Escape has probably almost no miles by comparision. And the ZX2 just started to make noise...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts