Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yeah, the other day I was just casually kicking off the snow and ice that had built up on my running boards from this Minnesota weather when a soft kick busted the drivers side board and broke almost completely off. A closer look and I discovered that the running board had broke free from 2 of the mounts that the board is bolted to due to severe rust. So I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has any recommendations on aftermarket running boards or if anyone has had to replace their factory ones due to the same problem.

Anyways here's the damage. Completely rusted out underneath.

Still trying to decide if I like the look better with our without them. Got a car wash today so I thought I'd throw this in.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Wow, salt must have got them. I have the same boards and last time I checked they looked fine, I'm sure there is a little bit of rust but nothing to that extent.

Honestly I've been considering taking mine off, if I had some angle iron, or aluminum, to replace them with I probably would, as they are not really useful as a step. They have acted like sliders a few times, I've bent them and then bent them back after bottoming out.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
For Minnesota road salt, that scares me a little bit. I wonder what the underside of your Escape looks like? Although legend has it that you can do a lot of stone-tossing at the undercarriage and virtually nothing happens.

It looks good with and without. I say that if you don't put the running boards on, get some mud flaps.

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
I say try going without them for a little while and see if you miss them. My Escape never had them and I never felt like I needed them. I think I'm one of the few that prefers the cleaner look...

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
salt air is amazing. you should see some of the boats that we repair. 3/8 to 1/2 bulk head completely rusted through. Airmapper, I welded my running boards to my sliders I welded onto the frame. They are tucked up high against the door. .

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Airmapper said:
Wow, salt must have got them. I have the same boards and last time I checked they looked fine, I'm sure there is a little bit of rust but nothing to that extent.

Honestly I've been considering taking mine off, if I had some angle iron, or aluminum, to replace them with I probably would, as they are not really useful as a step. They have acted like sliders a few times, I've bent them and then bent them back after bottoming out.
I'd like to have them on for the protection against rocks. Maybe if it becomes a problem I'll get some new running boards. Or rock sliders if anyone makes them for the Escape.(haven't seen any) But rocks have yet to be an issue.

Tang said:
For Minnesota road salt, that scares me a little bit. I wonder what the underside of your Escape looks like? Although legend has it that you can do a lot of stone-tossing at the undercarriage and virtually nothing happens.
It looks good with and without. I say that if you don't put the running boards on, get some mud flaps.
The undercarriage of the Escape looks pretty good, especially when compared to the running boards. Just a couple spots of surface rust is all I saw. And I did pick up a set of some cheapo mud flaps today to get me through the winter. I think next summer I'd like to get the molded ones though.

megascape said:
salt air is amazing. you should see some of the boats that we repair. 3/8 to 1/2 bulk head completely rusted through. Airmapper, I welded my running boards to my sliders I welded onto the frame. They are tucked up high against the door. .
Yeah that salt is bad news. I'm guessing you did your sliders yourself?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Yea I did my sliders, and skids that cover the brake and gas lines as well as replaced the plastic skid up front with a 3/16 aluminum skid, then changed that to a 5/32 aluminum skid with a stainless access to the oil filter. :rockon: :rockon: :wave:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sounds incredible. I'd like to learn how to weld but don't really have the means to do it. Do you have any pictures of your skids? Or are they buried in the forum somewhere?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

had one in fotoflexer
this is the old skid but the only difference is the access panal. look to the right mid of the under carriage and you can see the other skid for the lines.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
oh yea, those are the sliders. sched 40 pipe. They are there for safety only. I don't crawl. I did box my frame in as well. I haven't been able to get a pic of the complete box. But someday when I get it up on a lift rather then jack stands I can get that pic.. :rockon: :rockon:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Wow that's some rust you got there! Have you checked the undercarriage?Some rubberized undercoating would help.

I also wanna mention that your Escape looks very nice.I've always liked that red.Have ever considered painting the trim(bumpers,flares etc)body color? I think that would look nice.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
megascape said:
oh yea, those are the sliders. sched 40 pipe. They are there for safety only. I don't crawl. I did box my frame in as well. I haven't been able to get a pic of the complete box. But someday when I get it up on a lift rather then jack stands I can get that pic.. :rockon: :rockon:
I'd like to see that. Looks like you do some good work.

goldash03 said:
Wow that's some rust you got there! Have you checked the undercarriage?Some rubberized undercoating would help.

I also wanna mention that your Escape looks very nice.I've always liked that red.Have ever considered painting the trim(bumpers,flares etc)body color? I think that would look nice.
The undercarriage looks pretty good despite a couple spots of surface rust. I think the reason the running boards got so rusted out was because salt and slush from wintry roads get s built up on them and the salt just starts going to town on them. My previous car was an '03 Nissan Altima and the floor pan had holes rusted all the way though to the carpet, so I'm no stranger to rust. Luckily, my Escape is no where near as bad as that. After winter I'd like to treat the surface rust spots and then give the entire undercarriage a coating of some 3M rubberizer. And thanks for the complement by the way. I agree the Escape would look good if the bumpers and trim were painted body color but painting is absolutely not in my budget (first year college student). Has anyone on here painted the trim an bumpers on a 1st gen?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think you should just leave them off, and keep your mud flaps. My running boards were all rusted out too, the top plastic part was even coming off of the bottom metal part on one of them, so I took them off. IMO it looks better without them, makes it look like the escape is sitting higher. They were nice to stand on when putting up or taking down skis and snowboards from the roof top carrier, but now I just stand on the back door sill. Good luck with whatever you choose to do, and I really like the colour of your escape!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks dub. I'm really starting to like the way it looks without them. Plus, they didn't serve that much of a purpose in the beginning anyways. Its not that much of a step up. Getting the mudflaps put on this weekend. I'll post that up when its done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts