Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since ya'll were so helpful with my last OT advise, I'll try again.

So when moving from the old house we found boxes of slides & pictures. Now the wife wants to scan them all. I only have an ancient flat bed scanner. She found a $100 slide & negative scanner in a magazine, and they seem sto be everywhere, ebay, amazon, etc, all ~$100.

I suggest we go for an all purpose scanner, than can do slides & photos. I found one for $130 that says it can do 16 slides at a time.

Any advise from the group?

She's leaning towad this style: http://www.brookstone.com/store/pro...pla=WelcNew&cm_ite=sub_593111&cm_lm=203139420

I'm liking this one:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

Oh, to make it Escape related, does anyone know for the 08, can I buy a cheap pats key from eariler, or does it have to have the fob/key in one? I just want to make a spare so I won't have to pay $$$ for a omplete re-program if one should ever get lost.

·
Super Moderator
4,737 Posts
In anything goes it doesn't need to be Escape related ;) The scanner sounds like a good unit. :beer:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
weebee said:
In anything goes it doesn't need to be Escape related ;) The scanner sounds like a good unit. :beer:
Thanks, but which scanner?

·
Super Moderator
4,737 Posts
Oops! :bang: I like the one on the bottom.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Thanks for those links 08HybridOK. Both sites were given a brief perusal. Those models have good features. I read the user reviews. The scanner shown in top photo, has functionality but seems a tad bulky. Scanner in last photo has acceptable specifications, but i like the design because it is flat. Do not currently own a scanner, or have ever had any experience with them.

For me it would be a confusing decision. I am surmising the final choice, would depend on the features built in and specifications. Design appeal would be enticing. Can anticipate that overall flexibility of device, should be taken into consideration. :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
stone said:
Thanks for those links 08HybridOK. Both sites were given a brief perusal. Those models have good features. I read the user reviews. The scanner shown in top photo, has functionality but seems a tad bulky. Scanner in last photo has acceptable specifications, but i like the design because it is flat. Do not currently own a scanner, or have ever had any experience with them.

For me it would be a confusing decision. I am surmising the final choice, would depend on the features built in and specifications. Design appeal would be enticing. Can anticipate that overall flexibility of device, should be taken into consideration. :)
Thanks. Like I said I'm leaning toward the flat bed, for overall multi-function and a few dollars more. I sorta like reading reviews, but it's like everything else in life, one awesome+++ followed by never buy this piece of crap ----- so.... as long as they seem balanced or lean toward a positive review, then I think I'm ok. It seems a majority of the negatives were Vista compapility issues (Don't have Vista, went back to XP). Compusa has a video review, and the guy loved it (but then tey are tring to sell it right?). The 16x slides at a time vs 3-4x of the dedicated scanner seems a no brainer as well.

Just curious if anyone had a better products, or found a lower price ($140 free ship on Amazon).

Thanks

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm all for a multi-use scanner. once you've scanned the negatives, all you can do is try and re-sell the scanner.... At least the multi is still good... HP used to make a lot of good ones, but I haven't kept up on their product line.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SilverAthlon said:
I'm all for a multi-use scanner. once you've scanned the negatives, all you can do is try and re-sell the scanner.... At least the multi is still good... HP used to make a lot of good ones, but I haven't kept up on their product line.
Thanks my thoughts exactly. Sell it used on ebay for what 1/2 maybe? So I pulled the trigger finger, err clicked I guess. I swapped over to newegg, same price, still free shipping, + I got a dvd+-rw w/light scribe for $20 :) The one in the HP desktop seems to be acting up, not reading all the time. Not sure if it's the :cuss: up windows XP (since I just did a fresh re-install, but all ready having error messages and Media Center is jacked up) But hey for $20 I can have 2 dvd drives, makes umm, u know, easier :D :blush:

I was shocked to see that the order I placed just before noon today(mon), has changed to shipped and will be delivered on wed! :yahoo:

So I'll let ya know in a few days if I :wall: or :)P

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update (1?)
Scanner shipped a day later, so I didn't get it until Thur (my monday of course, so I didn't get to play much)

But the slide holder makes it a super easy task. Set to the default setting, 300dpi & single (vs dual 6 color) pass, it automatically crops 16 slides at a time. Press scan & surf or walk away for about 10 min and presto it's done! Now these settings aren't going to make pine prints, but will look good at 4x6. At least lets you get through stacks of slids in a hurry, then if you see something you want better, scan it again later.

The dual pass and high resoloution (1200dpi+) takes a lot longer. I did 1 slide, took about 1hr. The quality was better, but I could tell unless you started blowing up real large. And a lot larger size, ~40M vs .7M!!! :shock:

One con I can think of is the head resets after every scan, and it's scans every slide seperatly, so each batch is 16+ slides of the head. I could see this causing the motors to wear out faster.

Negatives, at first wasn't impressed, but I think it was the negative, I put another batch in & it croped each one seperatly. They scan much slower than a slide tho. Not sure the timing yet, as I put several in & left the house for an hour. it was done when I got back. The quality was good, had lots of specks on the pics, but it either the negative, or slide dust on the glass.

So so far :thumb: :thumb: I do love the set it & forget it, pop slides in, preview & scan ad viola 10 min later 16 pics!

Oh yea, forgot to mention over 620 Slides finished so far!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2 pics, I didn't take time to dust first.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
stone said:
Where abouts are those mountain ranges?
Don't have a clue, these are from when wife's parents were my age, and they are both passed on now.

My guess is Spokane, WA, her dad lived there a short while as an older kid (teens maybe).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.