Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a reco on a good scratch remover? These are not the deep kind, just the surface kind. I have a couple of them on my new-to-me Escape and I'd love to make them disappear.

My experience thus far:

Turtle Wax scratch remover works pretty well on Dark colours, not on light colours. Mine is Sport Metallic Blue, so it seemed to work OK but I can still see traces

Mother's Scratch Remover is twice the price of Turtle Wax and sucks. It just gives you shiny scratches.

I had also used a Nu-Finish product in the past with moderate results.

Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
We have used 3M Rubbing Compound and have been successful in removing surface scratches from our black Dodge truck. I believe it can be purchased at any auto parts store.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I find most car care products are hit and miss - some work better on certain colours, fabrics, etc than others. Scratch remover is pricey - and half finished bottles litter my garage - so I didn't want to just try something from the shelf without someone's feedback.

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
You're welcome. You might want to get some other opinions as well and not just rely on me. I can say that it did work for us. We used a buffer to apply and that made it easier. As you probably already know, you will want to follow up with a wax. :)

Good luck to you! :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Colleen,

Interesting - I had some turtle wax rubbing compound in stock. Used that, then Mother's Carnuba Blend Cleaner Wax over top. Tada! Scratches gone. So, not the exact product, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Now, as far as following up with a wax, that just doesn't seem too manly....and kind of personal :blush:

·
Registered
128 Posts
How deep are these scratches. Use the finger nail test. If you can feel the impression of the scratch running your fingernail across it then it is too deep to remove. You can make it look a lot better, but it won't fully come out.

I used ScratchX 2.0 from meguiars on my used escape a month ago and it worked out well. It is a mild abrasive though so it may leave swirl marks which you need to fix up later. You will need to use it several times by hand to get results though. I use a random orbital buffer and it only took a few attempts to make them barely visible.

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
kmoose said:
Colleen,

Interesting - I had some turtle wax rubbing compound in stock. Used that, then Mother's Carnuba Blend Cleaner Wax over top. Tada! Scratches gone. So, not the exact product, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
That is fantastic! I'm so glad you got rid of them! :yahoo:

kmoose said:
Now, as far as following up with a wax, that just doesn't seem too manly....and kind of personal :blush:
LOL !

Okay! :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I have a couple nasty scratches on my Bullitt's trunk lid. It is a dark green, so maybe that helps...I use Meguiar's Detailer. Many, many layers. The scratches are no longer in evidence. I shudder to think of using a claybar to remove the old wax and detailer shine as the scratches will be front and center once again... :shock:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yea. Cleaner waxes and waxes in general do a good job of filling in the void in the the clear coat and smoothing the edges to make them barely visible. Once that wax wears off the scratches are back. It can be a big bummer and alot of work, but they will come out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Griot's Garage stuff is awesome! Look for a demo in your area. I use their stuff and my cars sparkles! You can use the #2 and #1 depending upon how bad the scratch is. If it's into the primer or down to the metal you can get a professional painter to fill it. (edit) Their web site is http://www.griotsgarage.com

I've been using their stuff for several years and am somewhat biased :D

·
Registered
324 Posts
gman1868 said:
Griot's Garage stuff is awesome! Look for a demo in your area. I use their stuff and my cars sparkles! You can use the #2 and #1 depending upon how bad the scratch is. If it's into the primer or down to the metal you can get a professional painter to fill it.

Now that lil kit looks interesting! Sorry to hijack this threat but...how much is that and has anyone else purchased this? Im wanting to get better and detailing my own car but due to the fact that Im limited in my purchase options(because of lack of auto stores in germany...well havent found any yet) I cant very well experiment with different products as much as I would like.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Colleen said:
We have used 3M Rubbing Compound and have been successful in removing surface scratches from our black Dodge truck. I believe it can be purchased at any auto parts store.

Car detailing has become a hobby of mine and I've taken classes at both AutoGeek (what an amazing facility!) in Stuart and ProperAutoCare in Tampa. Rule #1 is to use the least aggressive product available to accomplish what you are trying to do. The only thing more aggressive than rubbing compound is wet sanding the paint. Therefore, I would use that as a next to last resort. If you don't want to go the machine polishing route, I'd suggest Meguiar's Scratch X. You apply it by hand, it does polish (meaning it does contain very fine abrasives) and it also has fillers to fill in any scratches that can't be hand polished out. One alternative if you need something more than hand polishing can accomplish, but don't want to buy a full size polisher, is to buy a backing plate (3", 3.5" or 4") with a special adapter the allows you to attach it to an electric drill. You can buy smaller versions of the same polishing pads the full size machines use...they are velcro backed to attach to the backing plate. Buy an orange one (a bit more aggressive) and a white one (much softer to finish with). While you wouldn't want to do an entire car that way, you can do a decent amount of paint correction on a small area with this method. My office condo manager's headlights had hazed over badly and I polished both of her headlights in less than 20 minutes today using a cordless drill.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Katscan said:
gman1868 said:
Griot's Garage stuff is awesome! Look for a demo in your area. I use their stuff and my cars sparkles! You can use the #2 and #1 depending upon how bad the scratch is. If it's into the primer or down to the metal you can get a professional painter to fill it.

Now that lil kit looks interesting! Sorry to hijack this threat but...how much is that and has anyone else purchased this? Im wanting to get better and detailing my own car but due to the fact that Im limited in my purchase options(because of lack of auto stores in germany...well havent found any yet) I cant very well experiment with different products as much as I would like.
That Griot's Garage 6" orbital buffer is generally regarded as the best "bang for the buck" polisher on the market right now. While not quite as powerful as the Flex 3401, it costs less than half as much and is far more powerful than the new Porter Cable 7424XP (XP = extra power). The Griot's polisher also has a lifetime warranty, the PC is guaranteed for 3 years (IIRC).

The following unfortunately doesn't apply to you as AutoAnything doesn't ship internationally (other than to Canada), but for people in the US: The Griot's unit sells for $129 PLUS shipping on Griot's website. If you don't mind a little work, create a MSN Bing Cashback account. AutoAnything.com is listed as one of Bing's participating cashback stores. Link out to AutoAnything from Bing. AutoAnything carries the Griot's 6" polisher for the same price, BUT they offer free shipping in the US. You will also get a 12% rebate from Bing.

You'll need a few applicator pads for the machine..two orange (more paint correcting) and two white (more final finishing) should be fine.

You should DEFINITELY consider claying the car before you start polishing it, you will be amazed at the junk (contaminants) clay pulls from the paint.

The Griot's polishes/waxes/sealants are OK, but not spectacular. If you're just starting out, take a look at the Optimum products. They are very easy to use and are very reasonably priced. Consider Optimum Polish II for more correction and Optimum Finish for final swirl removal. If the paint is in really nice shape, they sell Optmum Poli-Seal..an all in one product. It contains a very fine/mild polish combined with a paint sealant all in one step. The sealant is not especially durable, so you can top it off with Optimum Opti-Seal. Opti-Seal is one of the WOWA (wipe on, walk away) paint sealants. You literally apply it by spraying a small amount on a microfiber applicator and wiping it on the car's paint. That's it, you're done...no buffing, no "wax off" so to speak. Excellent durability and you can literally "wax" (seal, actually) your Escape in 10 minutes. More time for beer!

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I just used this stuff this morning.

It took out a pretty good stripe on the Escape left by someones mirror. Took the scratch out and left the suface glassy with a nice shine. I couldn't believe it, I had real doubts, but it did great, 5 minutes tops. Didn't get a pic sorry.

BUT... I did use it on the Barcalounger On Wheels and took before and after pics...

Before… (From a few years ago when the wifey scraped the mirror driving through Chandelier Drive-Thru Tree)

After!

Before... notice the scratched under the handle.

After...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts