Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got weary of the seatbelt digging into my neck. Does not matter how i adjusted belt, for it continuosly dug into the neck and collarbone. So henceforth, i purchased an item marketed as " Seat Belt Buddy ". Basically it is a piece of lambswool, with two velcro strips. You just set up this lambswool on seatbelt, to where it corresponds to neck and collarbone.

Then just simply line up the two velcro bits. Both pieces of velcro stick together. This " Seat Belt Buddy" can be left on your safety belt. It does not need to be removed, and should not interfere with anything. It takes some getting used to, but in time i found the belt pad to be comfortable.

Definitely an improvement. I now have a lambswool pad velcroed together, resting comfortably on neck and collar bone. Nothing worse, than a seat belt sharp edge ,digging into your skin while driving. Can imagine there would be, products similar to a " Seat Belt Buddy " overseas. :) :happy:

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
There are similar products here. My mother used to have one in her car. I hated the thing. I sit tall so it's rare for me to have a problem with seat belts rubbing or digging into my neck. This thing kept creeping up the belt and bunching. It was annoying. But then again, I probably would prefer that to a seat belt digging in...

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
im not a big fan of my seatbelt either. but it saved my life, so i wear it religiously

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yep, a seatbelt kept me from flying out of the window in the backseat of an Accord once. I still managed to hit my head on the ground through the broken window while we were flipped 3-4 times and bounced from one side of the road to the other. They are annoying sometimes, but a little discomfort is nothing compared to a busted noggin'

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Long story short:

My mother had a VW microbus without the seatbelts, as they weren't required yet. It slid off the road one winter evening and did a few spins and in the process hit the ditch embankment a few times as well. She flew out, the bus spun around (just missing her) I slid across the seat to the drivers side and got my feet hooked on the steering column. My upper body and arms went out the open door and slide along the ground for a few hundred feet. My head was inches from the left front wheel, as was my arm and body. I could have been crushed or ripped apart by my not having a seat belt and being dragged. As it was, my shirt was ripped up and my back was full of cinders and gravel from the roadside...Whew Eee!

I wear my seatbelt all the time. Even if I am only going half a block down the road, or turning my truck around in the driveway to face out instead of inwards. :thumb: Seat belt comfort really isn't much of an issue with me.

·
Registered
384 Posts
CrashNburn said:
im not a big fan of my seatbelt either. but it saved my life, so i wear it religiously
Likewise. I was in a crash when my 2002 Hyundai Accent L Hatchback was run off the road on a 4-lane interstate and barrel-rolled 3 times through the median at 60mph. I dusted off the glass, unlatched my seatbelt, kicked the door open, and WALKED AWAY from the accident. Before that evening, I buckled up about 40% of the time if I remembered to. After that evening...100%.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
BurghBeagle said:
CrashNburn said:
Likewise. I was in a crash when my 2002 Hyundai Accent L Hatchback was run off the road on a 4-lane interstate and barrel-rolled 3 times through the median at 60mph. I dusted off the glass, unlatched my seatbelt, kicked the door open, and WALKED AWAY from the accident. Before that evening, I buckled up about 40% of the time if I remembered to. After that evening...100%.
similar here, only i was on the road with a buddy in a truck behind me, he had to open the door cause i couldnt budge. before that i only wore my seatbelt when i was above 50km.h now i wear it all the time.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Is wearing a seatbelt compulsory in the USA?

It is a $225 fine plus you loose 3 licence dermit points here for not wearing a belt. Similar penalty for not wearing a motorcycle helmet.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Seat belts have been mandatory in New York State since 1984. The first state in the US to mandate seat belt use isn't even a state: The District Of Columbia.

http://www.iihs.org/laws/SafetyBeltUse.aspx

I've never driven without a seat belt, and I wouldn't even try it.

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
Mandatory in the state of South Carolina as well.

jpark said:
I've never driven without a seat belt, and I wouldn't even try it.
Me neither....it is the first thing I do when I get into a vehicle. A habit done unconsciously. Same with my hubby and kids. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Mandatory in Ontario, Canada unless you are reversing your vehicle. Without a seatbelt, I get this "ahh!" feeling like I'm going to fall out of the seat at any moment. :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Squishy said:
Mandatory in Ontario, Canada unless you are reversing your vehicle. Without a seatbelt, I get this "ahh!" feeling like I'm going to fall out of the seat at any moment. :lol:
Amen to that. I have worn seat belts since I was 6...? We had a 56 Ford that came with seat belts as an option. I wore the seat belts.

·
Registered
107 Posts
There's no doubt about it, they are crucial to surviving any kind of accedent. My b/f would have been dead had he not been wearing a seat belt when he flipped his old Bronco and slid into a median. Both he and I wear our seat belts religiously. The kids scream if he starts backing up before their belts are clicked.
Here in Manitoba it is law, you HAVE to wear your seat belt.
I too find that at times it is an uncomfortable feeling when it rests against your neck. I always get the feeling of it tightening and pushing against my neck (I am 5'4") It does dig in for sure. I was wondering if there is something you can attach closer to the buckle that will pull it away from your neck, much like they have for a car seat for children. Otherwise I will be investing in a seat belt pad.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts