Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

i have a 2010 mercury base 2.5 4x4
i want to replace the driver seat, but i'm wondering if its possible to replace the original seat ( manual ) control with a atomatic seat adjuster.
is the wirring still the same

thank you

·
Premium Member
3,497 Posts
As a guess, no. I suspect the harness installed will vary based on the trim level. That would be a lot of wasted copper wire if the extra conductors were installed in every vehicle.
An alternative is to take a look under your seat. Have not looked since replacing the dang switch on the side($$$- gold plated?), but I remember there being a bundle of largish wires, actually 2-3 bundles, like an octopus of wire looms, seemingly one for each powered function. Up/down, fore/aft, seat base tilt, each getting a goodly chunk of wires to run each motor in whatever direction.
One thing that may make it feasible is the motors only need one power source to operate, and that may be pre-wired on all vehicles. I have not removed the seat to look.
tom

·
Registered
72 Posts
If the wiring is under the seat, likely semi - plug and play. (I'd guess that the fuse box slot for this feed is empty).
Ford Escape, the leap between XLS, and Limited was quite a few features, may or may not have laid harness in each body.
Please let us know what you find.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,497 Posts
dwight... Had the switch fail, and the only movement it would do was to move the seat closer and closer to the steering wheel. That was a problem. Retail for the switch was over $100(spelled: ouch). It must have some precious metal contacts, or be made of unobtainium.
Easy to replace, but much more expensive than expected. I turned an intermittent problem into a full fail attempting to fiddle with the switch. oops.
tom

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is why I recommend keeping the manual seat adjustment. Too many things fail with the motorized seat. Motors, worm gears, bushings and switches. Large drivers making these components work even harder. And when they fail, they fail in the worst position. There are no replacement parts. Must replace the whole seat frame.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Electric seat has a lot more adjustability instead of just how far back.
I guess I could have a problem some day, but, it's not like I move it around every day or anything.
In my 35 years of driving, I have never had a powered seat failure.
Even being a 'larger driver'.
YMMV

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts