Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 2011 in nice shape, except the wheel well arches have some rot on them. Instead of cutting in some patches and repainting, I wonder if anyone has tried adding arch moldings like the First Gens had. If so, universal or does someone make exact fit?

John

·
Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
539 Posts
I just picked up a 2011 in nice shape, except the wheel well arches have some rot on them. Instead of cutting in some patches and repainting, I wonder if anyone has tried adding arch moldings like the First Gens had. If so, universal or does someone make exact fit?

John
Plastic arch moldings will only exacerbate your problem. Patching in new panels with a repaint would be the best way for you to proceed.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Call your local ford parts department, or try 2011 ford escape fender arch: Search Result | eBay
Ford never offered them on the second gen whereas the first gen had them. I was wondering if any aftermarket company made some that bolted right on and looked stock. It would appear no.

Rust can not be repaired. The rust and sounding metal must be cut out. Consider just replacing the fender. Fenders are inexpensive.
It's not a fender issue, it's the rear quarter panel arches. Sure, I can cut out and install patch panels in the quarters, but the patches are about $250 plus metal work, primer, and paint/clear, and an awful lot of work including blending.

Rust can't be repaired, true, but it can be converted chemically and effectively slowed or even stopped. If flares could cover that, I'd be inclined to try it as I'm looking for a couple of years out of this truck for a service business.

Just looking for an easy way to hide the blisters. Otherwise, the paint is in nice shape.

John

·
Registered
347 Posts
Ford never offered them on the second gen whereas the first gen had them. I was wondering if any aftermarket company made some that bolted right on and looked stock. It would appear no.

It's not a fender issue, it's the rear quarter panel arches. Sure, I can cut out and install patch panels in the quarters, but the patches are about $250 plus metal work, primer, and paint/clear, and an awful lot of work including blending.

Rust can't be repaired, true, but it can be converted chemically and effectively slowed or even stopped. If flares could cover that, I'd be inclined to try it as I'm looking for a couple of years out of this truck for a service business.

Just looking for an easy way to hide the blisters. Otherwise, the paint is in nice shape.

John
I use POR products to treat and then cover rusted areas. POR-15: Professional High Performance Vehicle Restoration Products Rear quarter panel are a pain to replace. I agree, convert the rust and cover. Wheel well covers are a good idea to hide the blisters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts