Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was driving today the dash illuminated a light which I now know is the service engine soon light. Is it common for this to come on at around 21k miles and what type of service is going to be needed. I'm a little ticked off because i just recently bought the car at the end of february certified with 19k on it and I already need to service it??!

·
Registered
72 Posts
If your truck is certified, it should still have a warranty - correct? If so, take it back to the dealer to have them read the code that should be stored due to your CEL. If no warranty, stop at a AutoZone or other parts place and borrow their code reader to read the code yourself. Then let us know what code came up. Good luck.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea it is still under the original warranty for another 15k then comes the 100k powertrain. I removed the negative part of the battery and let it sit for a little while. Reset the code and it has not come back since. I hoping this remains to be the case, but i guess I will know after a ton of driving this weekend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's up to you, of course, but in the future you might just want to stop by the auto parts store to borrow their reader.... disconnecting the battery as a means to reset trouble indicator lights also causes your engine to forget the optimum idle settings, in my experience. Your engine probably will run a bit rough until it relearns all of that information again.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea it is not running the best, but they had to unplug the battery to install my remote start at the beginning of the week and I was doing radio work so i needed to unplug it anyway to be safe. All is still well after driving around today. Taking a longer trip tomorrow so if it holds up tomorrow i'll be confident that it was just a fluke.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I got a ODB II cable for my laptop for about $50. Works well, plus you get this geeky cool feeling plugging it up and watching the engine data.

Anyway I like having it to check on any engine light events, but so far it's been insurance so it doesn't come on now that I secretly want to see the light and use my new toy. :calvin:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On my way home tonight the light came on again. Dropping it off at the dealer tomorrow morning. Hope they can fix it soon or have a loaner I can use.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So i have an update. I forget what the service advisor said was the exact problem, but it needs to be in the shop for two days to fix it. Supposedly the engine has to be lifted out to replace a sensor. I'm not too happy about them having to lift the engine out, but I dont really have a choice. What angers me even more is that they do not have a loaner program so I am out a car for two days which means I have to take two vacation days. Bummer.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha. I have actually done that before when I drove a Bronco II. Just got the car back as they said I can drive it until next week when they work on it. It is riding a little rough something definitely doesn't feel right. Maybe it is in my head though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A little update. The parts were on back order for about 3 weeks so I finally dropped my car off this morning to get fixed. The service advisor originally said 2 days, but they called me 8 hrs later and the car was ready to be picked up. So my faith in ford has been renewed. Will it last???

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE: So it hasn't even been two weeks and the service engine light has come back on and the car is running the worst it ever has. The dealer is going to be looking at it monday, but I am getting really upset with ford. I keep losing my car for a day while the dealer fixes the issue and I use my car for work which means i have to take a day off. Frustrating!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts