Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Shortest employment ( Physically stressfull)

337 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  CrashNburn 
#1 ·
My other very brief employment period, was also for half a day. But it was definitely not relaxing. This job was quite physically demanding. Obviously the opposite of a chocolate factory. Down under our government work agency is titled as ' Centrelink '. I decided to give this " Vineyard Hand " position a go. So henceforth the ' Centrelink ' government pen pusher clerks :lol: sent me to a winery at ' Langhorne Creek '.

Sorry about the laughing, but i find their civil servant job quite amusing. They have no concept , of how to screen people for abilities. Will not give specifics, but at a foundry i used to be at, there was a former hairdresser. He did not last long. It was obvious he was not suited to the metal industry. Poor bloke stressed out over being grubby. I sympathise with him. It was not his problem.

My apology in advance, but i am going to have to be rude. This former hairdresser being sent to a foundry, is a good example of government servants being incompetent twits. " Centrelink " = incompetent clerks who don't know how to screen people. :lol: :hyst: :yes: I have been in enough factories to witness this dilemma.

Basically as a vineyard hand, my procedure was not rocket science. I had to nip off unecessary shoots, and retie the vine plant. Only problem is you are on the knee caps all day. There is the heat of day, plus the flies and mozzies are a nuisance. A comfortable hat, insect repellent, sun screen lotion and sunglasses helps for comfort. Could feel my age catching up, and the pain in knee caps was excruciating.

I began at 7.00 a.m. in the morning. At 11.00. a.m. my emotions were stressing out. By lunchtime break, which is 12.00 p.m. i notified the winery supervisor that i would be calling it quits, because of physicall stress. Once again i only lasted for half a day, but this time the job was physically taxing. It just about kills your knees. :shock:

See less See more
#3 ·
Hello JIMMYJOHN. I had to get out of bed, even though it was futile. Our government employment agency " Centrelink " , make it quite clear that benefits are cancelled, if you do not co-operate with them.

Basically a person registers. Then the government pays you , via this agency for being unemployed. The pay is fortnightly. Because the unemployed citizen is being paid, this agency wants to see results. They make you run around like a yo -yo. A person has to visit firms, and present his or her resume and references. Each time a place has been visited, the agency requires proof of this. They supply you with a log sheet.

The location and address of firm is entered. Then a shop assistant, or maybe a leading hand or the boss , will verify you have been there, and submit their signature. The agency refers to it as cold canvassing. Because we are being paid by the government, they require you to submit proof ,that a conscious effort is being made in job seeking.

The final objective is to gain employment. The paper work is unbelieveable. Each person has a case worker. We report to them with our results. They advise us on what sort of approach, and techniques might be effective. Depending on how long we are without a job, will result in having to attend courses such as welding, metal fabrication. These can be boring. I respect welding technology but have no interest.

We sit around bored witless, as the instructor goes blah blah!. More paper work that is classed as a " module ". The course would last for about three months. Then " Centrelink " sends us out to the state forest. In the forest we do maintenance. Trimming, pruning and some chain sawing. This is in conjunction with the " Baptist youth group community services " This requires maybe 11 people, squashed into an old clapped out mini bus. Keep in mind all the tools were in the bus also.

We performed our forest odd jobs at two state forests. One of them is in my photos as in " Kuitpo ". The other place is " Mt. Crawford state forest". None of us enjoyed it but we were obliged to, because the government cancels your pay immediately if you refuse. I think there is still a penalty period.

Basically i think it goes something like this: If someone does not co-operate with " Centrelink", their pay is cancelled. Even though they are registered, the government imposes a penalty, because the person has been difficult. The unemployed person will not receive pay from government, for at least four to six weeks. I chose to comply, because i did not desire to be inconvenienced.

So as one can imagine, because the government is paying an unemployed person, they expect to see results. Obviously they do not want things to be too easy. :roll:

#4 ·
Sorry to read about your situation. I had to apply for jobs years ago here once I was discharged from our Army. I went to the Texas Employment Agency, former name, and filled out the required forms. I made all my appointed visits and interviews, pretty much as you are doing now. After about three months of this non-sense I was reading the bullitin board of job openings. There was one right in the office that I had applied for compensation! Why didn't the dolt that interviewed me tell me about that one? Hello! I am looking for a job!

Anyway, I applied, interviewed and was promptly hired! Geez, can this get any better? Well, no. Because I was now on the otherside of the counter/desk benefits received. I also had to work with these twits...OOPS!

As it turned out, I worked there for almost one year before landing my current employment with the Federal Aviation Administration. It paid less initially, but is much improved with time. I have to work only a couple more years, and I will be able to, financially that is, retire. There are twits here as well, just paid at a higher rate! :lol:

Good luck in the future job hunting!

#5 ·
there are "twits" every where you go LoL. when i get out of the military i will hopefully have found employment before i actually get out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.