Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read where people are removing there silencer in the air intake system, does an 01 escape have one?

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
There is one that is accessible through the driver's side wheel well. There is a black plastic box held on with one bolt, with an opening that goes through the sheet metal into the engine bay.

Removing it won't make a difference. The rest of the tubing is long enough to suppress intake noise, and the silencer is located too far up the system to allow more airflow to increase throttle response.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks i actually just took it off i see the piece you are talking about, so it wont make a difference taking it out?

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I noticed no difference at all when I removed mine several years ago. Later I just cut out everything past the air filter box because there was a beach I went to that involved a water crossing - I didn't want the small factory opening to suck up water. That made a noticeable growl at 3000 RPM and above.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i just took it off, it has only a small nail size hole is that all the air that the engine gets? if so i want to cut a bigger hole in it.?

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Cutting a bigger hole won't help unless you replace all the intake tubing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i cut a bigger hole in it. i did a vacume test without the hole, and with the cut out and it get more air.

·
Registered
122 Posts
disciplecore said:
well i cut a bigger hole in it. i did a vacume test without the hole, and with the cut out and it get more air.
You've peaked my interest on this too. I'm also curious about a road test, but I always like hard data when compared to "seat of the pants" reports.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just removed the piping bast the airbox. I didn't notice any seat of the pants increase, though the extra growl is nice. I was trying to take parts from my COBB (subaru) intake to fit. Stupid rubber coupling was a little too small or I'd have a custom WAI going right now. I would like to do custom piping to the stock air intake locations. Just get a larger diameter pipe and dremel the holes out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
so taking the piping off past the air box makes it louder? well my piping opens up right behind the drivers side head light, and if you took that away, wouldn't it be getting warmer air, and possibly less power?

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
The intake temperature for me is only a few degrees above ambient air temperature at idle. The difference starts to disappear as speed increases.

·
Registered
92 Posts
so then should i take off the piping past my air box? how would it help performance and would it sound more beast-like?

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
It might help throttle response, but don't expect horsepower increases. I did more than just take the piping off - I cut a "scoop" out of the box itself. It has a nice growl at above 3000 RPM.

I didn't do it for performance gains, though. I didn't want the stock intake to suck up water through that little hole because I used to do water crossings to get to a beach. The biggest change is in the sound.

·
Registered
92 Posts
ok i understand. when you say you cut a scoop out, basically you widened the opening at the end of the box to draw in more air?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts