Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just took my 2008 4 cyl Mercury Mariner on a 800 mile trip to California. I noticed on the second day that we where there that it made a single click noise when I pressed on the brake. I have not heard this noise before. We took it to the mechanic down there and he said it was the brakes. He replaced the brakes but it still made the noise. Upon his "further inspection" he said it was the transmission ( I have 39000 miles ) and needed to take it to the dealer. He put back on my "old brakes" and refunded my money. Can anyone tell me if the single click is normal, or what could be a potential cause. I appreciate it. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Do you use your parking brake? There was a TSB where the parking brake shoes wouldn't stay centered when they weren't used frequently causing a noise.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You may just not have noticed it before. Sounds like it's the shift interlock relay/solenoid. It disengages when you press on the brakes to allow you to shift out of park. It creates a single click each time you press it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LEO_Escape said:
You may just not have noticed it before. Sounds like it's the shift interlock relay/solenoid. It disengages when you press on the brakes to allow you to shift out of park. It creates a single click each time you press it.
Thanks for the help. My wife took it to another mechanic and he said it was the solenoid, just as you mentioned.

·
Registered
836 Posts
frankxe said:
LEO_Escape said:
Thanks for the help. My wife took it to another mechanic and he said it was the solenoid, just as you mentioned.
Glad you sorted it out. That 1st mechanic is an idiot. He put on new brakes then said it was the transmission?? Woah.

·
Registered
197 Posts
That is the very definition of "throwing parts" at a problem. Unfortunately, it's common practice. I was a victim of it once and made sure I knew as much as possible about my vehicles to prevent it from happening again. Being that I was a Ford tech at one point in my life, I've learned these vehicles pretty good. I usually let my wife handle the routine stuff, like tires, inspections, etc. That way, if they try to take advantage of her, since she is just a little innocent woman, I can basically walk in and lay into them. I can't stand it that people seem to wanna take advantage of others. Anyway, back on point. Glad I could be of help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.