Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
New to the site some really good information here. I Have a 2005 Mercury Mariner with 107,000 miles on her. I am starting to smell a slight "skunky" smell every now and then. Usually when I start the car I smell it and I can also smell it after I get of the car as well. Any ideas? I just made my last payment...and you know how that goes..$$$$$. Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Probably a leaky catalytic converter. If you never changed it. It probably all plugged up with all sorts of gunk that's burning up and smelling.

·
Registered
440 Posts
If it's a leaky catalytic converter, that is part of the exhaust. The smell your desribing, is it a sulfur smell, like rotten eggs? Then it's the cats.

If it's coolant, you'll get another smell, which is hard to describe. Look for leaks under the vehicle or in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I had a nasty nasty smell, thought a dead rodent was in my hvac system...took it apart and didnt find a dead animal but a nasty cabin filter. Try replacing that as well, so far I havent had the smell come back :shurg:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Your right I went right into the mechanics. I found a huge dead mouse wrapped around the inside of my rotor and It smelled one day and one day only. I realized what It was when I did my brakes the other day.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
oskerb said:
Your right I went right into the mechanics. I found a huge dead mouse wrapped around the inside of my rotor and It smelled one day and one day only. I realized what It was when I did my brakes the other day.
holy crap! I've never heard a mouse being caught in a rotor, ugh yuck. I thought it was going to be in my blower motor all sliced up... I do think the cloth seats hold some fart smells in though...... :bust:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
escape05xls said:
oskerb said:
holy crap! I've never heard a mouse being caught in a rotor, ugh yuck. I thought it was going to be in my blower motor all sliced up... I do think the cloth seats hold some fart smells in though...... :bust:
Yup its head and part of the body where somehow caught time the inside of the rotor :bill:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts