Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having this weird issue, my Escape has the 3.0L V6 (it's an AWD) but when it his 3k RPM sometimes on take-offs, I hear this weird, very faint sound that reminds me of wind noise on older cars. It only persists above 3k, and goes away when the transmission shifts to a lower RPM.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Have you tried to replicate that noise in neutral? I want to say some where in the intake area. Have you seen if you have a intake filter? Need little more info.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Are all the windows closed? :lol: Kidding.

Like oskerb said, need more info. Where's the noise coming from? Front? Back? Under? Left side? Right side? When the mother-in-law is in the car? etc?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know, out of an abundance of "wait, before I post, it better not be..." I double checked the windows. :D

Front of the car near as I can tell. Next time I'm running it, I'll try it in neutral.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update:

Climbed a hill today, didn't hear the noise - but the engine was quite warmed by this point.

The engine/transmission did it while cold when I hit the higher RPMs. I also heard it a bit when the trans dropped into the next gear as speeds increased.

Given the warmed condition, I didn't try throwing it in neutral to gun it then.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Hi Domain,

My name is Cory from Ford Customer Service. I can see how an engine noise like this can be frustrating. I would like to document the issue with your 2011 Escape and see if I can find other information about your concern. If you'd like, send me your VIN in a private message so I can look into this further for you.

Cory

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Figured I'd bump this up for grins/see if anyone has heard this. My dealer did end up hearing it a while ago, but the vehicle warmed before they could get things apart to find it.

I guess a better description would be that when it's cold, it has a sound kind a washer spinning freely on a rod. Again, when the vehicle warms, it's fine, but pretty much only when cold. The colder the ambient temp, the more it can be heard at start.

(Then again, the engine could just need a little more breaking in.)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 3.0 AWD and I have what I think is intake noise.And mine also is at startup.It is like a whistle like noise.It does quiet down when warms up and I do find it irritating.I was thinking its the way the intake is almost looks like Ram Air to me with the big filter up front.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts