Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past 2 weeks I have been noticing the smell of gas in the cabin of my escape V6. I searched around, but didn't find anything but a couple of random posts that said the Injector O-Rings MAY have been the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this? At first I thought I might have stepped in a puddle of gas but that is not the case.

It seems like it only happens when the fan is on and the car is not moving, which leads me to believe it is coming from fumes in the engine bay, and that it is being drawn in by the cabin fan intake.

Was thinking it might be a vacuum leak or a clogged PCV valve so I picked on of those up, but I am not expecting the PCV valve is going to do much, more of a routine tune up part.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Lower intake manifold gaskets? I believe there was a TSB issued for this problem, 01-4-3.

I have a copy of the TSB, but I don't know how to attach it (or if I'm allowed to).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Manic Mechanic said:
Lower intake manifold gaskets? I believe there was a TSB issued for this problem, 01-4-3.

I have a copy of the TSB, but I don't know how to attach it (or if I'm allowed to).
Thanks for the input. I read some other things on the web about some leaky fuel injectors/o rings and Intake gaskets but they seemed to be other vehicles so I wasnt sure if it was a general Ford thing or an Escape specific thing.

I'l try calling the dealer and see if the TSB was done on my Escape.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm glad you found the TSB.

Are you going to see if that procedure solves your problem?

Whatever solution works for you, please post back with your results.

Thanks.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Previous cars - 2 Ford Contours (same engine) leaked around the injector holders. Performed a total gasket replacement which solved a number of little bugs.

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
Just curious... what other bugs did it cure?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1X4WDEscape said:
Previous cars - 2 Ford Contours (same engine) leaked around the injector holders. Performed a total gasket replacement which solved a number of little bugs.
x2 on the other little bugs...What type of issues did it resolve? Rough Idle, Vac leaks?

Did you do that procedure or was it done @ a Stealership?

I just called the Ford Deal I got the Escape from and he "looked it up" and said it had never been done and he doesn't think it would need to be, and that I should just pay the $100 diagnostic fee and let them see what it is :roll:

If it is covered under a TSB, I just don't see why I should have to spend a day doing this when its a faulty design on Fords part?

Any input?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Lots of annoying bugs went away. Vacuum leaks upset the fuel metering causing rich and lean mixtures causing hesitation. Gas smell from the fuel rail leaks. Had 2 bad injectors that caused an intermittant miss. That was hard to troubleshoot because the 95 doesn't have very good diagnostics.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts