Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put this in this section because it seems to be the favorite section for the members to go to.

We are getting around 22 to 23 MPG in Putt, seems others here are getting worse. So how can we improve the milage on a vehicle that shoud be doing a lot better in it's stock form. In my opinon the Escape witht he V6 should be in the mid to upper 20MPG range (25 to 29 MPG). Why is it so low? It is a light vehicle with a smallish displacment engine, OD trans, has fuel injection that should be much better than it is. Just seems it should do much better on fuel.

So has anybody tried, been successful at using an after market enhancer?

Like water meth injection. Propane fumagation. Fuel additives. Brown's/Rhoad's gas.

Just asking to see if I can avoid snake oil and or smoke and mirrors.

http://www.fitchcatalyst.com.au

http://www.snowperformance.net/

http://www.wjsperformance.com/powershot/powershot.htm

http://pesn.com/2007/09/29/9500450_BobB ... ans/d9.pdf

Post up your ideas and or experiances.

PUTT :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Great thread Putt! I have put an XCal2 on mine which upped it 1mpg or 2...depending on the weight of my foot that tank...but I am still only getting 18-20mpg. Only achieved 20mpg once in my life :wall:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yah, I figure BO (Big Oil) is trying to stick it to us maybe we should fight back.

Just for grins and giggles have you figured out how long, how many miles, it will take you to recoup the cost of the Xcal2, or is the WOW factor enough to justify the money spent.

On my big truck I have the EDGE Platinum, and propane, best I got was 20.883 without the pane. And the pane is good for another 2MPG. I don't think I'll ever recover the cost, but the pulling hills with the fiver one has been easy.

Anybody done any exhaust mods that helped milage?

LargeCar :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I never took the time to calculate the ROI but I figure the wow factor and a few more MPG with the option of tuning it myself if I want was worth the $$$.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,583 Posts
I guess I am pretty lucky. I consistently get in the 18ish to 19ish MPG. When I drove back from California, I got upwards of 22ish MPG.

The worst mileage I got with the Escape was when I was in California. I think it was a combination of a number of things such as the gas that was available for purchase, the fact I was in stop-and-go traffic much more, the climate (I had to run the A/C more often). There was one tankful where I only got 10 MPG!!! :shock:

Do I think any of these aftermarket additives work? Personally, I doubt it but that is only my opinion.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Well I haven't had a chance to drive along side of anyone to check my speedometer calibration with the xcal3, but I'm almost positive it's right since my overdrive kick-down is still around 43mph. This past week I drove 244.6 miles on 15.72 gallons of gas, giving me 15.6mpg. That's UP from around 13mpg I was getting before I put the rims back on..

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cbramsey said:
I guess I am pretty lucky. I consistently get in the 18ish to 19ish MPG. When I drove back from California, I got upwards of 22ish MPG.

The worst mileage I got with the Escape was when I was in California. I think it was a combination of a number of things such as the gas that was available for purchase, the fact I was in stop-and-go traffic much more, the climate (I had to run the A/C more often). There was one tankful where I only got 10 MPG!!! :shock:

Do I think any of these aftermarket additives work? Personally, I doubt it but that is only my opinion.
I understand cali has a whole differnt kind of fuel, something thay call OSHA safe, as in less combustible and returns less power/economy. We have not been on a long trip to get all highway milage yet. Maybe a run to AR for some wine would do the trick, usuallget ten to twelve cases at a time.

The Fitch deal might be worth looking into in a deeper basis.

Or maybe I'll get off my butt and build a Brown's/rhoads gas generator.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the link Pollkat, they tested all the ones that pretty much you could tell were not going to work just from looking at them.

I know that propane fumagation works, I know that tuners can work, and I know that water/meth injection works. I have used them all, it is just the the propane price has gone up along with fuel costs, tuners are expensive enough to take a long time to pay off, and water meth kits are a bit expensive as well.

Cold air kits kind of work but they are usually a bit on the spendy side so pay off is a long term deal.

I guess there is no free lunch in milage improvments.......................or is there.

·
Super Moderator
14,901 Posts
lilshimy36 said:
Well I haven't had a chance to drive along side of anyone to check my speedometer calibration with the xcal3, but I'm almost positive it's right since my overdrive kick-down is still around 43mph. This past week I drove 244.6 miles on 15.72 gallons of gas, giving me 15.6mpg. That's UP from around 13mpg I was getting before I put the rims back on..
Borrow someone's GPS, it will give you an accurate mph. My Trib was off by 2mph until I put the larger tires on. Now it's dead on.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I got 32 mpg on my last tank.... ;)

~John

·
Super Moderator
14,901 Posts
jmorton10 said:
I got 32 mpg on my last tank.... ;)

~John
I would hope so, John....smart a$$

How many watts did you have to kill?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
MadMax said:
How many watts did you have to kill?
Can you really kilowatt?

:hyst:

:bill:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Putt said:
Cold air kits kind of work but they are usually a bit on the spendy side so pay off is a long term deal.

The Escape already uses a cold air intake. It comes in from the Left Front, behind the splash guard (or whatever one calls it) The only thing is, it has a sound reduction baffle there. Only IMO, an aftermarket intake, will take in more warm air. I have no facts or figures on the difference between the two. The only thing I do know is, that coasting is your best friend!!! If you know a traffic light is going to turn red, take the foot off the paddle and coast. Big deal, if others cut in. Let them waste their gas. Even though you feel like this. > :rant:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought I was the King of Koasting, I can pop the five speed in the SC into nuetral and coast half a mile (almost) to the turn off I use a lot.

Putt is an auto and I am not to sure if it is that good for them to get kicked into nuetral, even if the pump is still lubing everything. I do as must decel coasting as possible. I also use the "egg under the throttle foot" method of accelerating. Gotta laugh at the ones that floor it to pass me when I am doing that, I just see them at the next light.

Gotta go my ice cream is melting.................

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Putt I don't know why but you are cracking me up in this forum lol

·
Super Moderator
14,901 Posts
Scooter Scott said:
Putt I don't know why but you are cracking me up in this forum lol
Kind of reminds me of Stonecutter. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Putt just has a unique sense of humor.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I like it meeself.

And I gotta go, too. My Blizzard is melting.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts