Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the leap. I flushed out my trans today and put in Mercon V. I did the Prowler 7-6-3 method and replaced what was in there (who knows) with Mercon V. It has 99,867 miles on it with factory external trans cooler for towing package. Initially, no change whatsoever. Shifts the same. We'll see as time goes on. I was going to do a visual write up but I'm glad I didn't now. Had a bit of a mishap. I had the wife starting and stopping the engine for me while I monitored the milk jug filling up. Only problem was, she started the truck before I was under there. Only a little spillage. All in all, it went well. I'll try to keep an update as the mileage racks up for those of you that have been contemplating doing this.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a hair under 1,000 miles since the change and no noticable difference. The real test comes in February. I'll be moving across the US to relocate. Virginia to Oregon. :bang: Yeah, I'm crazy. Two cats, a three year old, my father-in-law, a 26' Penske truck and the Escape. This should be interesting. +/-3,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Good luck!

Are you planning on towing the Escape with all four wheels on the ground, behind the truck? If so, that won't be a good idea.

2008 and earlier models with automatics use the CD4E transmission.

Here's what Ford recommends for 2008 and older models:

RECREATIONAL TOWING
An example of "recreational towing" is towing your vehicle behind a motorhome.

If your vehicle is automatic transaxle equipped, with a 4x2 (front-wheel drive only) configured powertrain, "recreational towing" is permitted by trailering the vehicle with its front wheels on a dolly. This protects the transmission's internal mechanical components from potential lack of lubrication damage.

If your vehicle is automatic transaxle equipped and 4WD (all-wheel drive), "recreational towing" is permitted only if the vehicle is trailered with all four (4) wheels off the ground. Otherwise, no "recreational towing" is permitted.

If your vehicle is manual transaxle equipped and 2WD or 4WD, shifting the transaxle into neutral permits "flat-towing" (all wheels on the ground) for pulling behind a motorhome. Your vehicle, with well designed towing equipment, may be towed up to a speed of 113 km/h (70 mph) but you should always obey local speed limits.

For other towing requirements, refer to Wrecker towing in the Roadside Emergencies chapter.
2009 and newer models with automatics use the 6F35 transmission.

Here's what Ford recommends for 2009 and newer models:

Emergency towing

In case of a roadside emergency with a disabled vehicle (without access to wheel dollies, car hauling trailer, or flatbed transport vehicle) your vehicle (regardless of transmission powertrain configuration) can be flat towed (all wheels on the ground) under the following conditions:
• Vehicle is facing forward so that it is being towed in a forward direction.
• Place the transmission in N (Neutral). Refer to Brake shift interlock in the Driving chapter for specific instructions if you cannot move the gear shift lever into N (Neutral).
• Maximum speed is not to exceed 35 mph (56 km/h).
• Maximum distance is 50 miles (80 km).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.