Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This knock is more towards the passenger side of things. I think. When we first leave in the morning and accelerate or decelerate it knocks, especially from a stop. After going for awhile (~10 minutes) it seems to go away. 65k on the truck.

Engine mount loose?

Suspension bushing worn?

There is a warranty 3mos/3,000miles covering all sorts of things, should I have the dealer look at it or is it nothing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
If you have a warranty, why not check it out...? ;) If it's not covered, I say go from there. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I'd say sway-bar bushing. $5 says I'm right.

:bill:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
$5 buys one large Blizzard, and I even get change. Such a deal.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
They don't even charge me for extra Reese's Cups anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
I think JB is on track, It is a known weak spot in the suspension and can start to develop a thump around 30k - 60K miles in some cases.

Usually it is the front swap bar links and or the rubber mount bushings for the sway bar. Both are cheap if you can do the work. You'll need mtric flat/box wrenches and an Allen set for the links and a socket set for the mounts These can be checked in place. If these are tight the next item might be the ball joint on the lower control arm.

By jacking up the front and using a light prying motion around the links and joints you can usually find what is loose.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all! We'll take it in...'specially as things never go back together quite the same after I take things apart. Think duck tape would void the warranty?

Reese's Cups :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
We do up a batch of home made ice cream on the weekends, I think it'll be Reese's this weekend. :tease: Thanks for the inspiration JB.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:D

Thanks for the duck tape.

:lol:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I have that on a T-shirt that I used to wear. I wore it so much, that it is now a worn out t-shirt... :yes:

·
Registered
333 Posts
I think I have this same problem...combined with something wrong with the front brakes...I get the knock/clunk when I go over speed bumps or when driving through construction zones with uneven pavement/potholes, bumps, etc. I also get a binding sound too...makes me wonder if I have a shot swaybar link or bushings, or even a worn out strut mount...

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
From what I've seen, the Escape's strut assembly, upper mounts, and subframe are pretty strong designs. The sway-bar bushings are the only front suspension problems I've heard about, and most of the time, worn or missing bushings cause the clunking sound.

Here's a how-to for the front sway bar. It shows where the bushings are located.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1008

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Surfscape said:
So just a little more duct (duck) tape and it's as good as new!!!
:D +1

Unfortunately, I tried that and it's just too much tape....;)

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Thanks jpark. Sorry to go off topic here in context of this thread. How do you feel about the edges automatic transmission?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts