Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum so if these have been answered in previous threads or anything, but I'm installing a new system in my 2007 Ford Escape.

I just purchased some Rockford Fosgate Prime R1682 speakers from Crutchfield.com for the front doors and installed them just by removing the door panel and factory speakers and plugging the Fosgates in. (I still have my stock head unit in as well, for the moment). I expected to be blown away by better quality, but the speakers are really, really trebly. It's not too bad at low volumes, but the more you turn it up, it just get to unbearable amounts of treble. I spoke with a friend who works as an installer at GeekSquad and he wasn't sure, but suggested that maybe the car had factory-installed tweeters that were only sending the highs to my new speakers? (I'm not really too knowledgeable on how all this stuff works) Does the stock 2007 Ford Escape have separate tweeters?

Also, the Fosgates are 2-way speakers, and I read that you should really have a sub with those? Is this the case? I may or may not purchase subs... in that case should I go with a 3-way speaker instead?

Finally, would installing my aftermarket head unit (Alpine CDA-9833) make the speakers less trebly?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
328 Posts
hey there.

not sure if i can be much help but ill try.

when you replace the stock speakers for after market ones 9 times out of 10 your going to loose alot of bass and gain alot of treble.
happened to me also when i replaced my fronts. but if your planning on doing a sub it will make it all sound much better as you will get good highs and good lows. if your escape came with the tweeters you would see them in the sail panel that covers where your side mirrors are.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Breensy said:
when you replace the stock speakers for after market ones 9 times out of 10 your going to loose alot of bass and gain alot of treble.
agreed.

It might not even be more treble, just a heck of a lot less bass.

1 more thing, your aftermarket head unit also has probably twice the power of your stock one. Not sure if this will help the sound, but it will be louder.

You could get a small or flat sub with a small amplifier to gain back the bass that your stock speakers had and then some.
The sound quality of an aftermarket system is worth it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Breensy said:
hey there.

not sure if i can be much help but ill try.

happened to me also when i replaced my fronts. but if your planning on doing a sub it will make it all sound much better as you will get good highs and good lows. if your escape came with the tweeters you would see them in the sail panel that covers where your side mirrors are.
Thanks for the help! This helped a lot knowing it wasn't just my speakers. I'm going to look into getting a sub.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Deadening/sealing will also get your bass back on those doors.

Factory stuff is very efficient, aftermarket is not so much. I have never been a fan of RF's basic line of speakers and I think you are figuring out why. Amps, sure. But they make harsh speakers.

Changing to a different head unit will reduce distortion, but amplifying, deadening/sealing, and adding a modest sub would be logical.

I've got a few small sub solutions, but the '07 model doesn't have the trunk design of my '08 if I recall. The difference being that your spare tire is INSIDE your trunk. Easy solution that would take up very little space would be possibly a mini sub design like the ones I designed in my mini sub thread. Amplifying could be handled on the cheap, with a 4ch amp to run your fronts, and the sub in bridged mode on the rear channels.

$400-500 should do it.
Deadener, amp, head unit, sub.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
dhershberger said:
Hey fourth,
Mine's an 07 and my spare is under the well on the underside of the truck.
Oh, maybe '07 was the first year of change. Well as you know, its deadly easy to build a false-floor arrangement in the trunk then, and get 100% functionality out of the cargo area.

·
Registered
333 Posts
When we replaced the stock head unit in my parents F-150 with a JVC Arsenal, the sound quality and the increased spl from the stock speakers was quite drastic. They played a lot more bass, cleaner mids and treble, and were likely upwards of 3db louder at almost any volume. Even when run with all settings on flat, it sounds terriffic.

I'm thinking that what has happened with your RF speakers, is that they ARE in fact more efficient in playing back treble more than your stock speakers were. Do you run your stereo with it's settings the same as stock? With my parents truck, I only had to have the treble set at +1 on the JVC deck with the stock speakers. With the stock speakers and stock HU, we had to have the treble at +5 or +6 out of 7 to get decent treble out of them.

I'd reccomend as a short-term solution, is to set your treble down as low as it can go. Set your volume to the level you would normally listen to, and go a bit higher. Then, with music playing, add treble in small increments. I bet if you run your treble at -1 to -3, it will sound a lot more balanced with everything else. Don't forget that the stock stereos also have a built in EQ curve, that adds loudness to the sound at low volume, and actually cuts the bass back at higher volume.

After that, I think an aftermarket deck will allow you to fine tune your setup even better.

As far as reliable amps and subs go, I'd honestly look at the PowerAcoustik stuff. I used to have their lowest model 10" subs (BL 10's) being wired down to 2 ohms, and I had them driven off of a PowerAcoustik 2-ch amp loaded down to 2 ohms stereo, putting 180+ watts RMS into them all day long (subs were rated 250rms, 500 peak). They took everything I put them through without distortion, and without much stress either.

Anyways, hope I've given you some more food for thought...

L8tz

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone! I decided to just go ahead and install a new head unit and a 12" sub.

I installed my head unit and it powers on beautifully and everything BUt no sound will come out of any of my speakers. I've tried my CD, radio, and auxiliary, and no sound. Any suggestions? Is there an internal amp I need to bypass?

HELP :(

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
BowmanXXX said:
Thanks for the replies everyone! I decided to just go ahead and install a new head unit and a 12" sub.

I installed my head unit and it powers on beautifully and everything BUt no sound will come out of any of my speakers. I've tried my CD, radio, and auxiliary, and no sound. Any suggestions? Is there an internal amp I need to bypass?

HELP :(
NO internal amp.

Test by running wire directly from head unit to speaker, before you install.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay fixed that problem. I'm probably getting really annoying by now, but just one more quick question. To use an auxiliary input (ipod) on an Alpine CDA-9833 deck, can I just hook up my ipod using an RCA to 1/8" cord and plugging that into the RCA outputs in the back or will that not work?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
BowmanXXX said:
Okay fixed that problem. I'm probably getting really annoying by now, but just one more quick question. To use an auxiliary input (ipod) on an Alpine CDA-9833 deck, can I just hook up my ipod using an RCA to 1/8" cord and plugging that into the RCA outputs in the back or will that not work?
"RCA outputs" does not mean they are inputs. So unless those are RCA inputs you could possibly do real damage here by trying to plug it in!

I think you are supposed to use an AI-NET adapter with the 9833 deck. Not sure though, check the manual.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts