Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at the car wash yesterday ready to put a nice shine on the truck and I noticed a 3ft long key mark across my passenger door and front fender.
It's not worth an insurance claim but I would sure like to minimize the look of this scratch and hopefully prevent it from turning into a line of rust.
The scratch looks like it's just deep enough to be through the clearcoat and base colour, looks like theres a white primer coat that has been exposed in places.
Anyone know the best product to try to dummy this up a bit?
I'm not sure if this happend in the parking at work or at home but it certainly made me angry to see this kind of damage done by someone "just for kicks". I guess you just can't have nice things. :rant:

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Dude! What's going on the world? I had an egg thrown at my car. Look for the thread... jeez.

Anyhow, do you have a picture? I can see some combination of white, silver, and itty-bitty pieces of blue, so I'm under the impression that the paint is gone and that I'm either staring at primer or metal, neither of which is good. It sounds like polish alone won't be any good :/ are you really good with touch-up paint?

And, heck, it's worth more of the insurance claim than my problem would be.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Saw the egg incident Tang. :(
I don't understant why it's so hard for some people to respect the property of others.
I might get an estimate and see what it would be to get this fixed properly, still steaming a bit after finding this.
I will try to snap a pic this afternoon if the sun comes back out again, rained for a good part of the afternoon yesterday.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Those scumbags!!! :cuss:
Sorry to hear!!! :(

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Hopefully you can get it fixed. I refuse to park my car outside of the garage at my apt complex. Ean is not going to be messed with by anyone and one of my neighbors told me he caught some kids shooting bb guns at cars before. :shock: :shock: :shock: :spank: :spank: :spank: Those children better never do anything to Ean!!! :topic: Anyways hope your truck gets fixed up. Sorry to hear about that :rant: :rant: :rant:

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
What is going on in our country is a big case of LACK OF RESPECT. Most young people have no respect for others and refuse to take responsiability for their own actions :shades: :wall:

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I wouldn't say most but there sure are a bunch. My boss had both sides of his, at the time, 4 week old Subaru STi "keyed":

$4000 to fix it. All 4 doors, both rear quarter panels and the rear bumper. It looked like they used a screwdriver. Not only was the paint gone down to the bare metal, the metal was pushed in and creased.

Why people get their jollies damaging other people stuff I'll never know. Sorry to hear you were a victim of one of these dimwits. Hopefully you can figure out a way to hide the damage.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I would flip :cuss: if that happened to me... I hope you can get it fixed up OK.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
see if it disappears with water on it. if it does than its just the clearcoat. You may be able to just buff most of it out or touch it up with clear coat and a small brush. then you could wet sand it and buff. Wouldnt be 100% but close. If it's to the primer then you would be better off getting it painted. because the touch up might not look too good on the copper paint. The only down fall is that they may have to blend the paint into the rear door. At least the front fender isn't too bad. Good luck. I am super anal and that would really bother me, especially on that awesome paint.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Sorry to hear about this, rehctelf! Like everyone else has said, I have no respect for people who can't respect the property of other people.

:rant:

Anyway, while this may sound like a weird suggestion, it works VERY well for very small chips or scratches that don't go down to bare metal: a crayon.

First, clean the area (already done in your case). Then find the same color crayon and gently rub it into the chipped or scratched area until it's filled. Carefully wax the area, and repeat if the wax leaves white areas that can't be removed by buffing.

It's a lot less noticeable than trying to do this with touch-up paint, and, depending on how the light hits the damaged area, you may not notice the damage at all.

HTH! I also mentioned this to Tang.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the suggestion JP, makes a lot of sense. I'll have to give that a shot and see how it turns out. I'm sure somewhere in my daughters 64 pack of Crayolas there's a colour that will be at least close.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I hope it works for you!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Sorry to hear this happened to you....
As everyone said, i dont understand why people do such things... :censor: :cuss: :wall:

Hopefully with JPark suggestion you will be able to minimize the damage.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts