Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I recently purchased a 2008 Ford Escape XLT AWD. Here are a couple questions I hope I can get some answers too:

1. Does anyone know where I can get headlight and taillight covers for the 08 escape? (online)

2. She is black in color and I am concerned about how easy the simplest scratches can be seen, any suggestions to keep the black looking nice and shiny all the time?

3. Any suggestions for step sides? The dealer told me that were a nusiance on the escape as opposed to trucks so I did not get them factory installed, should I?

4. Any suggestions on grill inserts? Which ones to use and where to find them?

Thats all for now, I only had my escape for not even a week yet and I love it.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I hope you remain happy with your new Escape. We just got a new Tribute, and it is without the steps. My wife so far does NOT want the steps added to her Tribbie. Just something for her pant leg, or even leg to brush up against and get dirty. She's the munchkin, so I defer to her on those matters. I'm 6'4" and don't want them either, for the same reason. :angel:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I have the steps on my 2003, and if I had to do it again, I would still install them. They do get very dirty in the winter and will rub against your pant legs if you have shorter legs, but they also protect against door dings from most sedans. You can keep slush from building up on them by installing wide mudflaps. I do not know of anyone who actually steps on them to get on or off, so they are pretty useless in that regard.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Same here. If I had another 2001-2007 model, I'd also install the factory step bars if they weren't already on it, and I wouldn't think twice about it. I had them on my 2005 Limited, and climbing over them became second-nature after a few days.

The 2008 models have step bars that are more integrated into the sides, and they also don't stick out as far.

The factory step bars for the 2008 models are part number 8L8Z-16450-AB. They list for around $399, but I've seen them for around $350 at some of the online Ford parts sites.

Removal and installation:

How to remove/install the 2008-2009 factory rocker panels

How to remove/install the 2008-2009 factory/accessory step bars

On the service DVD, Ford now calls them running boards, since they're more like... er... running boards.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
If the 2008s do not stick out as far, you might want to look into some aftermarket styles. For me, the only function they serve is to protect against door dings, unless you just like the look of them.

·
Registered
261 Posts
To be honest, the side "step" bars aren't practical, yet they are good looking. Being a tall guy (6' 3") I have no need to use them. They DO however add a little side protection.

Oh, and if you want to keep your escape shiny and new looking I'd recommend NuFinish synthetic wax. Works great!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Yup, I use NuFinish, too. Just about anything makes my Edge look good, but the black on our Fusion really shines with NuFinish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts