Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an 05 Escape Limited. I attempted to lower the full size spare and found that the mechanism is frozen up, likely caused my 5 years of midwest winters. There is a lot of rust on the "T" that holds the actual tire up. I bought a new (used) mechanism and will probably install it this weekend. I was just curious if anyone else had this issue and how much of a pain replacing it will be. Any tips or advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
go purchase something that will break the rust away and lube the hardware at the same time. Let it sit for awhile after you spray it and it should free itself with a little elbow grease. I think the stuff we use on the boats is called Break-away, works great with rust and salt air.

·
Registered
467 Posts
i can imagine what it can be when you get a flat in the middle of nowhere at night trying to change your tire and find that the mechanism is faulty :wall:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I have been spraying it with PB Blaster and it still would not budge. The other issue was that the place in the bumper where you crank it down was rusted so bad the bar would not go in it. I just finished changing the hoist and it was not as bad as I thought it would be. I was able to get some vice grips on the hoist and VERY slowly lower it. The biggest PITA was taking the bumper half way off to change the actual shaft that turns the hoist. The good news is that its done and over with and the tire goes up and down with ease now. I HIGHLY suggest that everyone lowers that tire once in a while to keep it in good working order. I would hate to need it and not be able to get to it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured I would post some of the info I have found about this. The part is around $175 new from Ford. You can get it new off of Ebay for a little over $100. I have seen a couple used ones on Ebay for arounf $50. I picked mine up for $42 and it was in good condition. It was a pretty easy install, just a little time consuming. If you have basic tools available you should not have any issue. The Ford part number is 9L8Z-1A131-A.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a used 97 blazer and when I lowered the spare (5 years later) everthing was rusted. It did come down
so I cleaned it it with naval jelly then sprayed the cable and the retracting mecanisim with WD40. I then coated the
cable with silacone grease. When I bouhgt my new 07 Esacpe I did the same thing right away and wraped the spare in
a plastic bag and tie wraped the ends. To this day the spare is clean and everything works well. Dont use too much
silacone grease on the cable.
I hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts