Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any ideas how one could go about doing a cargo mount or stand for the spare tire if he or she wanted to put it inside and free up some space below for ... a dual exhaust setup?

I'm by no means superstitious but I know that if I choose to leave my spare tire at home, I'm going to hit something and score a flat.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
The easiest way to do it without having to alter anything in the boot is getting a cargo belt with rachet tightening mechanism and utilize the four hooks on the cargo floor for stabilising the spare.

·
Registered
501 Posts
If you want to keep the space in the boot, perhaps mounted in a roof rack would be a good idea. I believe Megascape has it in the roof.

·
Registered
118 Posts
You could construct a false-floor setup similar to mine. It would have to be higher than stock, but not all that much. (See also my thread on it.) I would LOVE to get duals, but I also love having my audio gear hidden. Maybe I'll just get a dual-outlet same-side exhaust setup. ("DOSS," as some call it.)

·
Registered
294 Posts
I was also planning on running duals from the headers back and i was wondering how much space is needed between the spare and the pipe?
I saw somebody the other day in an escape that had the spare mounted on the liftgate, the problem was it blocked the glass and i wouldnt want to do that.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ltlredscape said:
I was also planning on running duals from the headers back and i was wondering how much space is needed between the spare and the pipe?
I saw somebody the other day in an escape that had the spare mounted on the liftgate, the problem was it blocked the glass and i wouldnt want to do that.
That sounds like it would look funny and, also having just been in the situation, a bad ending for a simple rear-end accident.

The guys I talked to said the current set-up is too tight regardless of heat shields and what not. Once the spare tire is gone, though, it's a small world back there. I don't think you'll have much luck with duals from the headers and back because of the design and structure beneath the body. Fuel tank, etc.

·
Registered
294 Posts
...plus mine is AWD so theres a differential in the way. pooey lol
i am now thinking more of a side-swept dual exhaust (both pipes coming out one side)

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ltlredscape said:
...plus mine is AWD so theres a differential in the way. pooey lol
i am now thinking more of a side-swept dual exhaust (both pipes coming out one side)
If I can find a secondary place for the spare tire, I'm going to split the exhaust right where it gets past the rear axle.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Now this is funny, my spare IS inside and want it on the outside...go figure. :doh:

I think the 3rd Gen Escapes have a full size spare, can you get a doughnut? Might give you more room, they are same diameter but thin. (hmm, maybe there is a trade opportunity... :lol: )

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Airmapper said:
Now this is funny, my spare IS inside and want it on the outside...go figure. :doh:

I think the 3rd Gen Escapes have a full size spare, can you get a doughnut? Might give you more room, they are same diameter but thin. (hmm, maybe there is a trade opportunity... :lol: )
I wish I had a full-size spare. It's a 17" donut.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I know this is an old topic, but I take it a full size spare will NOT fit in the compartment where the doughnut is. Anyone have any pics of where they mount their full size spare?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.