Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple weeks ago changed the spark plugs in my 04 Escape 3.0 with 93k. I can't believe the difference in the way it runs. Shoot even the wife commented. The intake cleaning I gave it may of helped more than anything. Now on my F150 5.4L with 75k I changed the plugs and didn't notice a difference... guess that could be the difference in engines. What you all say would be the optimal interval for the changing the plugs? I was thinking 75k as a good number.

·
Registered
187 Posts
On my Jeep I change the plugs every 25,000 miles. If I try to push it to 30,000 miles, the engine gets pretty unhappy. On that vehicle I use standard copper or platinum plugs. Nothing fancy because of the high change interval.

On our Escape - I'll probably change the plugs every 50,000 miles. I know that the owners manual says you can go longer but I just have to tinker all the time.

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
I currently have 72,000 on the original plugs. I was told I didn't need to change them until 100,000 miles but I was thinking of doing it this summer. I also want to clean off idle air control (IAC) valve. Maybe this will help make my Escape run better and a little more efficiently...

·
Registered
420 Posts
my 05 scape has 60,250 miles on it. i would guess it has the original plugs (just bought it a couple weeks ago). the crank time to fire the engine seems a little long and gas milage is 14-15, maybe its time to change em. the back 3 look like they might b tricky to get to.

what do u guys think

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
30k? Goodness that sounds like a bit of over-kill but I know it's personal preference. If our plugs were easier to get to probably wouldn't be a bad idea. Taking the intake off isn't bad but still.. tried doing it without removing the intake but couldn't get enough leverage to pop the plug loose. On the last two responses after what I know now I'd be tempted to replace them. Age might be a factor also.. short trips might be harder on the plugs? You could always try 4 oz of Mystery Marvel Oil (MMO) and a whole bottle of STP red (at the same time) and see if it helps. On mine it was a band-aid for new plugs for a while but it also has 93k on it. Put the same combo (STP/MMO) in my Festiva and it starting smoking on startup but subsided about half-way through the next tank. Runs 100% better.. I wasn't expecting such results but I think it runs about as good as the Escape after it's new plugs.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Age, short trips and stop & go traffic can all wear out components faster...

For me the plug swap in the Jeep takes 20 minutes. I always forget the engine in the escape sits sideways... [thank goodness i bought a 4-banger]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.