Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first ford, so when spark plugs need to be changed, does the coil just unscrew and unplug from the spark plug? Eager to try these new E3 spark plugs that are out? :beer:

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm fairly new here, so I'm unsure if you are being serious? I hope you search before swapping your perfectly fine OEM ford plugs to these. Some state they are pure snake oil (think Splitfire & Slick50 of the 90s). Now, I have tried these in a very old B&S push mower, and it ran fine.

You'll probably find mixed reviews -- just like everything else.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, they actually did a test on spike tv and produced less emmision, more hp and fuel economy. Won't replace the oem right away but down the road. Nothing wrong with splitfire as i run them in my snowmobile and performs awsome.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Each coil has one bolt that holds the coil pack in place over the plug hole. The boot runs down into the valve cover and wraps around the plug.

MAKE SURE YOU MARK YOUR PLUG WIRES/COILS packs so they go into the same location. especially the front three harness leads don't run as you might expect and if you put them back in a nice straight line (harness that is) it will be wrong. Having the cols packs mixed will destroy you CATs in a matter of minutes from mis-fire and fuel pumping into the exhaust.

Personal opinion keep the plugs you have in there unless you are reach higher mileage. The more you mess with the coils, harness and especially the threads in the aluminium heads the more you are asking for trouble...

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oky doky thanks. When u put in new plugs and or performance filters is it necessary to disconnect battery so the computer will learn the new performance?

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I've read mixed reviews on the E3s as well. Some say bollocks, others say they saw gains on a dyno test. Sounds like snake oil to me, but I've never had personal experience with them. The dyno tests I read were all comparing old plugs coming out with new plugs going in - conventional plugs may have produced the same gains.

I have a spark plug tutorial posted in the How-To section: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1508
I only marked it for 2001-2004 because I have no confirmation that it works for the later 3.0 L V6 engines. It should be fine for 2005-2008, but I'm not sure if it is still the same for the 2009 engine. If it works for you, let me know and I will update the title.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
hey surfs, i would suggest changing them sooner then later, the longer the steel plug stays in the aluminum block the better the chance of corrosion of dissimilar metals.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
CrashNburn said:
hey surfs, i would suggest changing them sooner then later, the longer the steel plug stays in the aluminum block the better the chance of corrosion of dissimilar metals.
Yah maybe so, it is up to the operator to decide. I have my plugs out all the time, so I'm one to talk. :doh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts