Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's another parts brand question.
Should I only use Motorcraft spark plugs or would Autolite Double Platinums or other comparable quality plugs be okay.
Autolite supposedly mfgs the Ford plugs, but I really don't know if that's a fact; if it is true, then there's the question of whether or not the Autolites are identical to the oems. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Autolite is safe

·
Registered
142 Posts
I agree on the Autolites. I put them on my 05 Escape about a year ago when it turned 60k miles. They've given me flawless performance ever since.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been using Autolites because a lot of folks have reported good results w them.
Using the cross-ref at the auto parts store, I put Autolite AP5364 Platinums in the Escape a year ago & the car ran fine. Afterwards I found ought that the double platinums are a better choice, so I went ahead & installed the Autolite APP5364 spark plugs. Thank you for the replies.

I did some searching & found out that Autolite mfgs Motorcraft spark plugs - they look identical. Someone else contacted either Honeywell or Autolite & posted their email reply which stated that the Autolite spark plugs are mfgd to the Ford specs.

Edit: Here's the quote: "As a division of the Honeywell Corporation, Autolite is the manufacturer responsible for the production of all Motorcraft spark plugs in North America for the Ford Motor Company. Both Autolite and Ford/Motorcraft spark plugs are built to quality standards using quality components. Autolite manufacture's the Motorcraft plugs based on the specific design requirements of the Ford Motor Company. Autolite and Motorcraft spark plugs are manufactured side-by-side at our facility in Northern Ohio."

·
Registered
17 Posts
The reason double platinum are good for your engine is that the ignition coil pack contains two separate coils. The ignition coils are triggered by the powertrain control module (PCM) in pairs (cylinder 1 and 4 and cylinders 3 and 2) sending
one ignition spark to the firing cylinder and one to the corresponding cylinder on the exhaust stroke.
• The majority of the ignition coil energy is used by the spark plug on the compression stroke.
• The firing voltage of one spark plug is negative with the respect to ground, while the firing voltage of the other spark plug in the cylinder pair is positive with respect to ground.

It's an old wives tale about about one brand of plugs being better than another.All are made to exact Manufacturers specs. My preference is NGK,yours may be Autolite.As long as you choose the correct one ,it should make no difference in performance.Just remember every manufacturer wants you to by their product.It's no different for auto manufacturers.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I always use NGKs in my old KZ650 - of course that's stock for the bike.
Since Autolites are virtually identical w Motorcraft, I'll stick w those. The Ford plugs are too darned expensive - the dealer wants $14 each - ouch.
One plug I won't use are Champions - I've heard too many stories about the insulator cracking.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
All of my I4 cars (vibe, ms3, cobalt ss) came with NGK (or rebadged ngk) plugs so I just bought them for my escape...but being the 2.3l I4 its cheaper than the v6. They are sort of expensive but you dont change them too often soo I figured why not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts