Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about about spark plugs. Do they really last forever? What is a reasonable change inerval? What are the advantages if any of using the high-tec (high Price) plugs? I'd be interested in your experience before doing anything daratic like throwing away plugs that only have 75,000 miles on them.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
I change plugs more often than most cause I'm always playing with this thing anyway with the SC and all but I do feel a difference when I do a change in power which can mean MPG as well.

I think it is wise to change occasionally if for nothing else to see the health of the cylinders, clean um up and break loose any corrosion around the plugs. I have heard horror stories of stuck plugs when folks wait for the 100k mark.

Of course if you don't change them and sell before hand then you really have little exposure either way.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
:shrug: I try not to look for trouble. So if it's working, don't fix it. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
If I have the vehicle long enough I've always changed the plugs and cables at 50,000.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just an old guy here so some of this may be old stuff.

NEVER pull the plugs out of a hot aluminum cylinder head, to great a chance of pulling the threads with it. Wait for it to be cold before pulling plugs. Be sure to blow away any dirt or junk that might be in the area of the base of the plug. Pull the wire by the boot, sometimes a little twist helps, never by the wire. If it has the coil over plug ignition be extremely careful with the ciol and its ceramic parts as they may be brittle. If you intend to do frequent plug changes, or even if not, it is a good idea to put just a dab of anti sieze compound on just the threads of the new plugs. Do not over/under torque the new plugs.

Now, a bit about plugs in my opinion. Electricty is very smart, and lazy, it will take the path of least resistance everytime. So if you step up for the multi tip plugs you may be blowing your money, you only get one discharge per compression stroke. So if it takes the path of least resistance it will go to the closest ground tip on the plug. Then if for some reason that tip increases its resistance the spark will go to the next easiest tip. You will not get a ring of fire as they have advertised. If you have something like an MSD (mutiple spark discharge) system you may, or may not, get two different ground tips in use. General rule of thumb is that if you need more than one grounding tip you have issues with oil fouling or a LOT of fuel, as in a race car.

I do support the use of plugs that have tips made of more conductive metals such as tungstine (sp). I also support plugs that have non exposed center tips such as the ones that have the very fine center tip that is even with the ceramic insulator, they ware very well.

The advancement in the injection systems over carberation, cleaner fuels (non leaded) and tighter engine tolerances have coupled with the new tecknoligies in plug design have made it possible to run one set of plugs for well over 100k.

Will you see an improvement in the performance and milage of the vehicle? Of course you will, don't want to admit that you just spent the money and time and got nothing in return, now would you.

If you are experianceing hard starting and a general lack of performance/milage a plug change is an easy test. Or you might consider some injector cleaners as well.

Plugs are semi cheap, and easy thing to do, and if it makes you feel better it was all worth it.

Dang got off on a tangent. What was the question?

PUTT :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
All of that is very true Putt. And good advice as well! :yes:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PUtt I think you hit the nail on the head. I just plain want to change spark plugs 'cuz it will make me feel better. I'm just looking for some better justfication. :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I have no justification. I have over 100K miles on my F-150s' since it's last and most recent plug change. I was thinking that they might be getting weak, or something. So I took them out one by one. And each is a nice gray/brown in color. The fuel mileage has not dropped significantly, even since the introduction of the ethanol mis-mix of gas (10%) here. So I checked the gap and found each one is correct, and screwed them back in the head. Why buy new? :pug:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Sorry :wall: . I'll stop trying to help, as it would seem you just want them. :)P That's cool! Go buy them ;) , it's not an extraviance ;-| , it could be called preventative maintenance. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Sort of like changing your motor oil. If you don't do it, the engine sooner or later will stop running. Same with the spark plugs... :lol:

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I agree! :) Preventative maintenance will usually nip any possible problems in the bud. " NIP IT IN THE BUD" before it progresses, develops or becomes complicated. :yahoo: It's allright. I am not being cheeky and it is meant in a kind way. :) :happy:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts