Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Escape XLS 2.0L 4-cyl w 5-spd manual transmission.

I'm looking to buy a spark tester, but the auto parts stores don't carry any. Can someone suggest a particular brand or specific spark tester? There's an adjustable type, but I really don't know much about them. After doing a cursory internet search here n there, it seems like a good idea to ask first before purchasing one. I installed new spark plugs & a new Motorcraft spark plug wire set. Now, I'd like to check the igniton coils. My car has a 2-coil pack - each one fires two cylinders. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I bought one of these years ago while working on my '97 Ranger and it's still sealed in its package! I'm not sure if one can check anything except if there is a spark or not. If you want to check spark intensity, you'd need a ignition scope or a OTC DAT which does that too. Even with a scope your comparing the waveform to the others in the parade or all 4, 6 or 8 cylinders.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay. Thanks.

In regards to the 2002 XLS 2.0L 4-cyl... Any idea how many miles or years I should expect to get out of the ignition coil pack? The vehicle has ~69,500 miles. From frequenting the various Ford forums, it seems like certain components typically fail at x-number of miles, but I don't know what to expect out of the coils on the 2.0 I4.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hurk said:
Okay. Thanks.

In regards to the 2002 XLS 2.0L 4-cyl... Any idea how many miles or years I should expect to get out of the ignition coil pack? The vehicle has ~69,500 miles. From frequenting the various Ford forums, it seems like certain components typically fail at x-number of miles, but I don't know what to expect out of the coils on the 2.0 I4.
Not sure about a coil pack but don't compare them to COP system which don't seem very long at all!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I agree. I was thinking the two types wouldn't be comparative. I almost added something about my ignition not being the same as the V6. There don't seem to be as many topics concerning the 2.0 I4.
Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts