Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I recently switched from a mustang into an 03 Escape and im on a sound competition team and was wondering if anyone had any systems they got metered. Any Idea how to get loud fast? I believe with my single 15 i should be hitting around 145db to 146db. Term Lab

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Measure the Schroeder frequency of the car and build to that if you are looking for an SPL hump.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fourthmeal said:
Measure the Schroeder frequency of the car and build to that if you are looking for an SPL hump.
how might i go about measuring the Schroeder frequency?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
AudioEscape03 said:
fourthmeal said:
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/rooms.htm
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/images/graph ... re-spl.gif

I think I will backtrack here and call it the "peak cabin gain frequency" since Schroeder is perhaps too specific.
You can measure your subwoofer's output anechoic first (or just in a quiet field without many reflective surfaces), then measure the response in the vehicle. The gain difference is special to your vehicle. To make a strong SPL output even stronger, you can simply create a subwoofer tune that hits right at the same frequency your cabin gain peaks at as well, to realize the highest potential of that particular vehicle.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fourthmeal said:
AudioEscape03 said:
fourthmeal said:
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/rooms.htm
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/images/graph ... re-spl.gif

I think I will backtrack here and call it the "peak cabin gain frequency" since Schroeder is perhaps too specific.
You can measure your subwoofer's output anechoic first (or just in a quiet field without many reflective surfaces), then measure the response in the vehicle. The gain difference is special to your vehicle. To make a strong SPL output even stronger, you can simply create a subwoofer tune that hits right at the same frequency your cabin gain peaks at as well, to realize the highest potential of that particular vehicle.
dear sweet jesus.... well this is exactly what i have been looking for. would you happen to know that frequency in an escape by chance?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Not sure of the exact measurement for an Escape but you can measure it on your own quite easily. Like I said, all you need to do is measure any existing subwoofer box in an open, quiet place at a pre-determined distance (like same distance you would put in your box in your truck to your microphone position (head position at driver's seat.) So you record that measurement and it will be a frequency response graph. Then you take the exact same subwoofer and box, put it in the trunk as close as you would put it normally, then put your mic in the driver's seat. Then take another measurement and that graph will be the in-car response graph.

Then simply take the graphs, subtract the in-car response from the out of car response, and the remainder is your car's own signature cabin gain. These graphs need not be extremely detailed. You could do 10 test tones and use a dB mic and measure the dB at each test tone, then graph them on a piece of paper. Then do the same in the car. That too will be exactly the same thing as doing complex measurements. So... technically measuring should cost you nothing more than a simple fairly accurate dB meter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fourthmeal said:
Not sure of the exact measurement for an Escape but you can measure it on your own quite easily. Like I said, all you need to do is measure any existing subwoofer box in an open, quiet place at a pre-determined distance (like same distance you would put in your box in your truck to your microphone position (head position at driver's seat.) So you record that measurement and it will be a frequency response graph. Then you take the exact same subwoofer and box, put it in the trunk as close as you would put it normally, then put your mic in the driver's seat. Then take another measurement and that graph will be the in-car response graph.

Then simply take the graphs, subtract the in-car response from the out of car response, and the remainder is your car's own signature cabin gain. These graphs need not be extremely detailed. You could do 10 test tones and use a dB mic and measure the dB at each test tone, then graph them on a piece of paper. Then do the same in the car. That too will be exactly the same thing as doing complex measurements. So... technically measuring should cost you nothing more than a simple fairly accurate dB meter.
thank you. but do you know anyone who would know it for two 15s?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I'm not being clear enough...

It doesn't matter what box you end up with. The measurement DIFFERENCE will be the same and that's your car's contribution to the sound. With knowledge of that response (use what you got now to do the test), then you build a box that perfectly tunes to the most boosted frequency of the car. THEN you will have your dB's. This is assuming the mic will be placed at the head position, not in some dumb port or whatever the hell some people do.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fourthmeal said:

It doesn't matter what box you end up with. The measurement DIFFERENCE will be the same and that's your car's contribution to the sound. With knowledge of that response (use what you got now to do the test), then you build a box that perfectly tunes to the most boosted frequency of the car. THEN you will have your dB's. This is assuming the mic will be placed at the head position, not in some dumb port or whatever the hell some people do.
i see what your saying, and i would put the mic about where the dash would be, thats where i measure it. but the problem is, im going to upgrade to two 15s, but i only have one right now.... i was hoping i would get lucky and have someone already have things close to what i have for a system and know their numbers lol.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
AudioEscape03 said:
fourthmeal said:

i see what your saying, and i would put the mic about where the dash would be, thats where i measure it. but the problem is, im going to upgrade to two 15s, but i only have one right now.... i was hoping i would get lucky and have someone already have things close to what i have for a system and know their numbers lol.
I understand but your numbers will differ greatly because you will be tuning to the peak frequency of the vehicle, AND buying subs that can play that frequency the best. Knowing your car's frequency peak is KEY. This peak changes if you wall it, or do other things though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
fourthmeal said:

i got that, i was just hoping someone would happen to have a similar system so that it would save me the time of figuring that out myself lol. i dont have the other 15 yet...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
AudioEscape03 said:
fourthmeal said:

i got that, i was just hoping someone would happen to have a similar system so that it would save me the time of figuring that out myself lol. i dont have the other 15 yet...
OOOOHHH.

No I don't think anyone has measured their car correctly, at least ones that will tell you about it.

Doing work like this is the hallmark of sound competition, btw. For SPL, it is finding frequency peaks like this. For SQ, it is similar because we are after a removal of the peaks and valleys to give a proper frequency response and tone.

But the Escape makes a piss-poor SPL monster. Metal is too flimsy and the car is too leaky. You'd have to destroy it just to get it to work. Anything will get loud when you start throwing a bunch of equipment in it, but then you've turned a grocery getter into a weekend toy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
trust me, im not worried about it not being that great for SPL because it is a hell of a lot better than my mustang was lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.