Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably silly questions, but I find myself obsessing over every little detail of my wonderful truck.
I want to get splash guards on her before winter comes and I thought I would ask for some opinions or advice.
1. Flat or molded splash guards? While I suppose it is more a matter of preference and looks, are there any reasons to choose one over the other? Our experience with our car (which had molded splash guards) taught me that the molded ones can crack and even break clean off.
2. OE or aftermarket? I would think that the only real difference here might be price, but are there any other concerns?
Thanks for your time (and understanding of my obsession!)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,656 Posts
Molded look sporty, flats look rally-ish.

I went ahead and bought molded OEs a week after I got my car. I feel like it's worth the appearance. The front ones make more sense than the rears.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tang said:
Molded look sporty, flats look rally-ish.

I went ahead and bought molded OEs a week after I got my car. I feel like it's worth the appearance. The front ones make more sense than the rears.
I appreciate the reply. I've been leaning toward molded OE from the start and will most likely end up with those.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
You might have trouble finding a set, unless your dealership stocked up on them. I bought some back in May, and I had to end up calling a dealer in Connetticut ?sp. They actually had to get them from a local supplier. So aparently Ford either didn't make a whole lot of them, or sold a crap load of them. I liked the fact that it only took me 20 minutes to install them too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeff M said:
You might have trouble finding a set, unless your dealership stocked up on them. I bought some back in May, and I had to end up calling a dealer in Connetticut ?sp. They actually had to get them from a local supplier. So aparently Ford either didn't make a whole lot of them, or sold a crap load of them. I liked the fact that it only took me 20 minutes to install them too.
I've found quite a few online at various sites and on ebay, but I hope I can find them too.

Just curious if you could install the rears without removing the wheels? I'd love to be able to do them myself and not have to pay the dealer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,656 Posts
I don't think you need to remove any rear wheels. You just need to screw into the plastic under and behind the wheels (behind if you think about the position of the car, not the position of the wheel, if that makes sense). I am about 75% certain they screw from underneath and not from the side.

I can attach pictures of the guards installed. I have them somewhere on my webspace and maybe somewhere in a different topic in the exterior mods forum??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tang said:
I don't think you need to remove any rear wheels. You just need to screw into the plastic under and behind the wheels (behind if you think about the position of the car, not the position of the wheel, if that makes sense). I am about 75% certain they screw from underneath and not from the side.

I can attach pictures of the guards installed. I have them somewhere on my webspace and maybe somewhere in a different topic in the exterior mods forum??
Well, that's good news. I would love to see the pics. I may end up ordering them tonight before my wife wakes up!

(I downloaded the installation instructions from http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com/GfaWeb/techSpecs.do and they indicate that the rear wheels have to be removed, but I wondered if you couldn't drill the holes without going to the trouble of removing them. I appreciate the heads up!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
836 Posts
If you are good, you can install the rears without removing the wheels. I did. You need to have a slight angle to the drill and use a super short screwdriver. I got the OE molded ones and they are a snap to put on. 1/2 hour total time. 3 screws each flap. They fit perfectly and can be easily removed to clean under them if needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
sinister mob said:
If you are good, you can install the rears without removing the wheels. I did. You need to have a slight angle to the drill and use a super short screwdriver. I got the OE molded ones and they are a snap to put on. 1/2 hour total time. 3 screws each flap. They fit perfectly and can be easily removed to clean under them if needed.
Yep. Although I myself just took the tire off because 1. I have a floor jack. 2. I was using a cordless drill. 3. I needed to check the rear brakes anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well that's great to hear. Thanks everybody. I shall order them now!

I can see how drilling the holes might be tight, but I have a screw driver bent on a 90 degree angle that I think will work behind the tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! Looks great!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great pics, thanks Tang!

I'll post some photos of my molded splash guards once I get them on!

(And I think I'll head over to the local ford plant for a photo shoot too! Great idea.)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,362 Posts
HAH!

Maybe I'll do that this weekend. The Woodlawn Stamping Plant stamps the body panels for no fewer than five Ford models, just 10 miles south of here.

Here's a grainy iPhone pic of my factory splash guards:

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,656 Posts
JP I like the chrome trim you added to the side...
and you changed the Escape badging too! Did you use the other Ford 'LIMITED' pieces too?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,362 Posts
HAH!!!

I knew someone would notice!

The side moldings are Sportwing's Chromeline moldings.

The left rear emblem is from the previous (2005-2007) generation Escapes. And the right-side LIMITED badge is from the Edge. I wasn't wild about the stop-sign-sized ESCAPE badge on the 2008+ models. It doesn't line up with the reverse lamps.

I'll post a picture of the LIMITED badge tomorrow, since I'm off to get the Fusion's oil changed. Normally I do that myself on my cars, but the '08 has a cartridge. I don't do cartridges.

:wacko:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,656 Posts
jpark said:
HAH!!!

I knew someone would notice!

The side moldings are Sportwing's Chromeline moldings.

The left rear emblem is from the previous (2005-2007) generation Escapes. And the right-side LIMITED badge is from the Edge. I wasn't wild about the stop-sign-sized ESCAPE badge on the 2008+ models. It doesn't line up with the reverse lamps.

I'll post a picture of the LIMITED badge tomorrow, since I'm off to get the Fusion's oil changed. Normally I do that myself on my cars, but the '08 has a cartridge. I don't do cartridges.

:wacko:
A cartridge where? And how hard could it be? We live in a time where we still use non-laser printers. :lol: I kid, but seriously, the oil filter is a cartridge?

Too bad you can't steal letters from various vehicles to get 'ESCAPE' with the chrome lettering. I mean, there's 2 e's from Edge, an S from Fusion... the C from Focus is italicized and the wrong size. I suppose you could pull the A from Taurus/Taurus X, but you still find a legitimate C and P... and where would you find a P?

add on:
I did a little more thinking. The Mountaineer's emblem gives you an R you can shape into a P, two E's, and an A. Just a S and C and you're off.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,656 Posts
Bingo, found it. (five out of six ain't bad by most standards)



time to make this unrelated part of the post a new entry on this website.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top