Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, what else can I say, spotting a 2009 Escape in England, at the local Airports long stay car park, it was even on British plates.

My suprise turned, alas to dissapointment.

I thought that they were larger than they actually are, indeed I would say that they are basically a tweaked 1st/2nd gen, with different lights and bumpers, but I was very impressed with the interior.

At least it was in the best colour, Gold Ash :yes: :yes:

·
Registered
176 Posts
camusdarrach said:
Wow, what else can I say, spotting a 2009 Escape in England, at the local Airports long stay car park, it was even on British plates.
My suprise turned, alas to dissapointment.
I thought that they were larger than they actually are, indeed I would say that they are basically a tweaked 1st/2nd gen, with different lights and bumpers, but I was very impressed with the interior.
At least it was in the best colour, Gold Ash :yes: :yes:
Yes they are "tweaked" but from having a '03 v6 for 6 years and now a 10 V6 since Oct. 09, the tweaks are not entirely in what you see. The v6 and i4 are stronger now but because they changed the tranny, the MPG is better. My newer car has about 3MPG better on average but scoots better than the older V6 ......if I want. The steering is electric-power rather than belt driven and the ride quality is more sophisticated. Quieter, larger tires, tweaked suspension, different seat fabric(That doesn't trap hairs so well. -just a few changes.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that.

Yep, have to admit that I do like them, just wish they were made in RHD :rant: , it's just that I thought they were a larger care, from looking at the pictures on here....

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Should've got some pictures... and maybe the part numbers for those harnesses that have amber turn signals! (I really want amber sigs!)

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sadly, no amber turn signals were fitted in the light cluster, what the owner had done was convert the reverse lights into indicators (using amber coloured bulbs), and had a seperate reverse and rear foglight mounted under the rear bumper, as like mine has..

Will try and get piccies, if it's still there in the car park, but looking at it's reg plates, it's a USAF members private import. so should be easy for me to locate in Harrogate, as the USAF base is at Menworth Hill, just a 20 min drive from my home..

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I sat in one of the newer Escape's (an '08) and was disappointed that they no longer fit my tall frame as well. Maybe it was just me, but I didn't feel comfortable in it like I do my first gen. :( I'll have to give it another try sometime.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Airmapper said:
I sat in one of the newer Escape's (an '08) and was disappointed that they no longer fit my tall frame as well. Maybe it was just me, but I didn't feel comfortable in it like I do my first gen. :( I'll have to give it another try sometime.
hm,mm...Did the '08 have a sunroof?...

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Bilbo said:
Airmapper said:
hm,mm...Did the 2nd gen have a sunroof?...
No sunroof, felt like I was in a box. I had to have the seat against the stops all the way back to feel like I had leg room. I drove it, and while it was "Okay" it just didn't like the feel. That and they did away with the grab bars by the door. :rant:

I wasn't really aware of a difference between the 08 (Second GEN) and maybe 09-10 (3rd GEN?) If so did they better configure the interior for larger people. (I'm not big but I am tall, 6'4".)

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I'm over 6'4" tall. I did not buy the earlier version (01 or 02) because I felt the same claustraphia that you describe about the 08. I did buy an 08 Tribute, and other than the trim, there is no difference from the Escape or Mariner. The 08 felt larger than I remembered the earlier Escapes.

What can I say, it's purely subjective. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
jonas1022 said:
What can I say, it's purely subjective. :shrug:
I agree, might give it another try in the future, should my '01 ever bite the dust for keeps (Lets hope it doesn't) I'd kind of like to have another Escape as a more sensible vehicle that has good fuel economy and fits most of my needs well.

I do think the 3rd GEN Escapes look quite nice. :)P

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm 6' 3.5" and I'm OK in my 2010 w/sunroof and power driver's seat. Seat all the way back of course.
I think that my '03 was better in this regard but I can't really complain about space.
The wiffey has a 08 without sunroof. manual seats and I don't see much of a diff inside from 08 to 10s.
The main difference for me is SYNC system in the 10.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oops, think I have dropped a clanger here.

I have always considered the 1st Gen to be the 2001 to 2003 as 1st Gen, 2004 to 2007 as 2nd (because of the redesigned dashboard, which we never got over here), and the 3rd gen to be 2008 onwards, with the redesigned body and interior.

Judging by whats been posted, seems I be might be wrong, or indeed we are on the 4th gen Escape now :shrug:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So that means that we only got the 1st gen here. hmmph :rant:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts