Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
- Raise it, lower it or leave it alone?

I thought I'd share some words and photos from my experience with lifting and lowering an 04 escape.

Stock (before) photo

After installation of a BDS 2" lift kit.

The BDS kits seem not to be available anymore (rumor) but there may be some still on the shelf somewhere and on Ebay.

I bought the kit for about $400 shipped and installed it myself. It took a long Saturday to do and you need a strut/spring compressor and hand tools to do the job. The spring compressors can be purchased for about $50 or rented for about $20. If you have someone else do the install it can cost another $300-$500.

You will need to do a full wheel alignment after messing with springs and struts, especially after this mod.

The kit includes strut extenders, ecentric cam bolts for front alignment, rear shocks (that were a piece of ... $#!t) and front and rear springs. I also bought the upper control arms for the rear to insure proper alignment out back. THey were about $180 shipped.

The final ride and height I liked alot, stiffer ride and no additional body roll, which was unexpected.

You do not get any real "extra clearence" to put on bigger tires as the hub center still remains inside the wheel well with just a 2" lift. But is looks good and functions as you would expect. I like the fact it raised the front and evened out the stance.

add some Goodyear GT/R mudders :taz:

Hope this helps those interested in this mod. I hear H&R makes a 1 inch lift and I hope someine will add their experiences here to help the membership!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Nice work! The only thing I would recommend is to change your antenna. Yours looks like a limp :bill:!

·
Registered
446 Posts
What tools did you need to complete this project? Did you need to lift the car in the air or did you just use a jack. Torque wrench?

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used a jack and stands. You will need a torque wrench if you don't come equipped with the calibrated elbow. Other than that standard hand tools. Make sure you have allen wrenches or sockets for the front stab links. The only special tools are the spring compressor set.

It is important to be mindful of the ABS sensor leads and brake lines when seperating the struts and shocks from the lower control arms. The arm will extend to a point that can stretch and damage these. They should taken loose first and re-secured after the fitting. Make sure you have enough travel when it is all put together. I did not need to extend my harness or lines but during the install the arms are extended beyond normal operation range to get the new springs in place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts