Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd show what I've been up to. I'm starting up again on my audio build, which means removing the door panels. Since I had them off anyway, I decided to add some fanciness to the doors. My Escape XLS doesn't come with any vinyl trim on the doors like the higher trim levels do. So off the Joann Fabrics I went to buy a square yard of black vinyl and 1/8" padding. Here's what I've got so far.

Those are the two rear doors. I still need to do the front doors and cut out a hole for the door handle. I figure that I'd get better as I go along and I don't care as much about making mistakes on the rear doors, so I started there. :fire:

It helps to have something flat to push the vinyl into the groove around the outside edge. I'm using a putty knife, but I have to be careful not to tear the vinyl with it. I have other plans for these panels, so I'll update this thread when I put those in place.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, everyone! :thumb: If you are interested in doing something similar to your door panels, you can get various colors of vinyl ( such as black, brown, gray, white, burgandy) as well as 1/8" foam padding at Joann Fabrics for not too much money--probably about $30 (USD). This does depend on the quality of the vinyl you get. I went with the middle-of-the-road stuff. I bought about a square yard (a bit less than a square meter) each of the vinyl and foam backing, as well as some 3M 90 spray adhesive from a hardware store.

I've been doing more work, so here's some more pictures for you all.

First, some freshened up door switch trim. I got this idea from oskerb's center console painting thread. First, I used my orbital sander with 240 grit paper to remove the texture from the plastic.

After that, I used 1500 grit sanderpaper to smooth the surface even more. Finally, I used a few coats of Rustoleum Universal gloss black spray paint on them.

Now, one thing I think that all first and second generation Escape owners wish we had is armrest padding. Well, I have a bunch of closed-cell foam (CCF) for my audio install and some vinyl left over from the door trim, so I decided to bring some much-needed relief to my elbow. :D

I used some cardboard to make the shape I wanted for the armrest and used that cardboard shape as a guide for cutting the CCF using a utility knife.

Now, cut the vinyl to shape. I used a scrap piece of vinyl and made a test piece using the cardboard template to figure out the shape of the vinyl I needed.

Here are the wrapped pieces, both top and bottom. I used the Duro contact adhesive shown here to attach the vinyl to the CCF (the vinyl is fabric-backed; otherwise, this adhesive probably wouldn't have worked).

I then put the finished piece on the door to see how it'd look. I didn't glue it down yet, which is why it looks kind of "loose" on there (for lack of a better word). I still need to put CCF and mass-loaded vinyl (MLV) on the back of the door, so I'll attach the padding and button panels when that's done.

Thanks for looking. Let me know if you have any questions!

·
Registered
64 Posts
looks a little catty whompus, but its a step up, nice DIY job :thumb:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Can anyone tell me if i need to have 1/8th padding, I had a hole in my center console so i got new vinyl and im putting it in the doors too just like this, does anyone have any ideas of how to get the vinyl tight around the center console ? I have a 2001 escape xlt

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AudioEscape03 said:
looks a little catty whompus, but its a step up, nice DIY job :thumb:
Hehe, thanks! There's a couple of places that could use a bit of touching up, but I think I managed to hide most of the mistakes I made. ;) I'll just tell people that I wanted it to look aged to match the age of the Escape! :lol:

snac said:
Can anyone tell me if i need to have 1/8th padding, I had a hole in my center console so i got new vinyl and im putting it in the doors too just like this, does anyone have any ideas of how to get the vinyl tight around the center console ? I have a 2001 escape xlt
Unfortunately, I don't know about the center console. The vinyl I bought was backed with fabric, so it wasn't very stretchy. You'd probably want to look online for auto trim shops that sell stretchy vinyl. If your console still has the padding on it, then you probably don't need new padding unless it's coming off or in bad shape. I would also recommend you use the 3M 90 adhesive to attach your vinyl to the padding. I used that Duro adhesive shown above to do this and there's a few places where it didn't hold. I ended up using the 3M adhesive on it anyway. You might be able to use the 3M 77 or 80 (which is mean for vinyl and rubber, it seems) instead of the 90.

·
Registered
64 Posts
il be putting some custom work into my interior soon involving shag carpet and mabe tie-dye or zebra print or something so we shall see how i do with interior... im kinda nervous about messing up on the headliner because i cant find anywhere i could get a new one from other than ordering one from Ford Motor Company...

·
Registered
64 Posts
you may wanna try to pull the fabric tighter is what looks like what it needs ;) just a suggestion. if it wrinkles a little bit when finished from tightness, take a blow dryer to it and it will smooth out

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I never knew the trick with the blow dryer. I'll have to remember that for future use.

·
Registered
64 Posts
it helps when you pull it until you see wrinkles from stretching. i havent done much work to mine yet but i will soon, got any tips on how to do the headliner?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can't really help you on the headliner as I've never done that before. I think if you just look for somewhat stretchy cloth you'd be fine. Removing the headliner isn't too terrible. You remove the sun visors, the handles on the ceiling and A-pillars, the light fixtures, and the top half of the pillars' trim pieces. Afterward, you should be able to coax the headliner down and remove it through the rear hatch of the Escape.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey J can you post a pic of the doors finished and installed, thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I plan on putting them back in this weekend (unless it rains), so I'll take a picture then.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The J said:
Can't really help you on the headliner as I've never done that before. I think if you just look for somewhat stretchy cloth you'd be fine. Removing the headliner isn't too terrible. You remove the sun visors, the handles on the ceiling and A-pillars, the light fixtures, and the top half of the pillars' trim pieces. Afterward, you should be able to coax the headliner down and remove it through the rear hatch of the Escape.
thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have pictures!

There's a couple of places that look like they could use a bit more glue (the door handle cups pull on the vinyl), but other than that I'm pretty happy with the results. The door switch trim looks really good in the gloss black. The pictures don't quite do it justice (taken with a MyTouch 3G phone).

·
Registered
64 Posts
its lookin pretty good now. good job :beer:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts