Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, 2 part post...
1st. part is a rant :mad: :rant:

I ordered the Stampede Bug Deflector from AutoTruckToys and was so pissed when it arrived, because it came wrapped in packing SaranWrap and a few Aircushions...not even in a box.

Needless to say it was damaged.
They said they'd send another one, hopefully better protected.
More waiting for me, can you tell I don't enjoy waiting?

2nd. part...
Quickly looked at the mounting instructions for the deflector...
Requires drilling and/or use of self tapping screws (provided)...
My question is what should I put in the drilled hole to prevent rusting?
Because it WILL rust, that I'm SURE of!

Anyone have any ideas?

I'll post before and after pictures when I eventually get the part.
Perhaps even pictures of the drilling! :shock: :cry:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Send it back and get a Lund Interceptor. It has plastic screws that pop right into place..no drilling and installs in 5 minutes flat.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Under the lip of the hood is all solid sheet metal, no holes whatsoever.
Too late, they're already sending the replacement, same model.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Meowky said:
<snip> Quickly looked at the mounting instructions for the deflector...
Requires drilling and/or use of self tapping screws (provided)...
My question is what should I put in the drilled hole to prevent rusting?
Because it WILL rust, that I'm SURE of!

Anyone have any ideas?

I'll post before and after pictures when I eventually get the part.
Perhaps even pictures of the drilling! :shock: :cry:
First, replace the included self-tapping screws with the same size stainless-steel screws.

Also, before you drill any holes, if you have access to the area of metal behind each hole, make sure you catch all of the metal shavings so that they don't end up collecting inside a creased and/or enclosed metal area.

Then coat each hole you drill, inside and around the inner and outer edges, with tar-based roofing cement. I'd also put some on each hole in the deflector where it's going to contact each drilled hole, and under the screw head itself, so that all of the seams are coated with it.

Finally, after you tighten the screws and watch the stuff ooze out of all of the seams, cover the backside each screw and the metal around it.

You should never see any rust if the entire joint is sealed with this stuff, inside and out, and as long as the seam doesn't move or crack. Any excess can be removed with paint thinner, but you can also wipe as much off as possible while it's wet and use a cleaner-based car wax.

Spray pruning sealer (Home Depot and Lowe's both sell it) is a great metal rustproofer as well. It's thinner than the thick rustproofers that you'll find in the auto supply stores (it's just like the spray that Ziebart used to sell in cans), so it gets into smaller openings. It can also be sprayed directly onto surface-rusted, non-flaking metal (where is sticks like glue), to protect it from further surface rust. The thicker stuff doesn't stick as well.

Good luck, and please post some pics when it's installed!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice, I'll post some pictures before I start to drill, from what I remember, there's no way to get to where the screw ends up in the hood.
I was waiting to post some pictures of the truck when it was nice and clean, but never had the chance yet.
Looks like my first few will be of the hood.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Hi ScooterScott! My bug deflector was installed the same way. They were plastic screws and no drilling was done on my engine bonnet. I ordered mine direct from ford. It was a genuine OEM ford deflector. The service tech ( mechanic) set it up for me. It took about five to ten minutes.

" And there goes another happy customer!". :thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
As a general rule, back in the day when I lived in Cleveland, Ohio. I would dab a drop of Rustoleum paint on the screwthreads before running it into the hole. Factory screwed on items rusted out, but none of mine ever developed rust around the hole.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally got around to posting pics. Sorry it took so long! Before:

About to drill:

One hole:

Completed:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
That looks great!

Drilling the hole was probably pretty scary, wasn't it? Did you seal the hole with anything?

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
That looks awesome! :thumb: I love that deflector! I wasn't a fan of the stock ones but this one hit the mark!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah it was scary, but after I was done and saw the end result, I quickly forgot about the drilling!
Yes sealed it with a tar-like silicone.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Good!!! Nice job, and it really looks great!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have that same bug deflector but it came with my truck. I guess I'll have to check it out to see if the dealership put anything on the screws and if not I'll do it myself.

Oh and by the way, Hi everybody from the new guy :hi:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Hi Newwguy!

Looks like a good install to me. I put one on my F-150 and lost 2 mpg. :shrug: I took it back off :( .

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Meowky said:
Finally got around to posting pics. Sorry it took so long!
Looks fantabulous!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

midunn said:
I have that same bug deflector but it came with my truck. I guess I'll have to check it out to see if the dealership put anything on the screws and if not I'll do it myself.

Oh and by the way, Hi everybody from the new guy :hi:
Hi midunn!! Don't stop posting now!!!! Welcome to the City!!! :beer:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
jonas1022 said:
Hi Newwguy!

Looks like a good install to me. I put one on my F-150 and lost 2 mpg. :shrug: I took it back off :( .
Do bug deflecdtors really cause that much in wind resistance?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Scooter Scott said:
jonas1022 said:
Hi Newwguy!

Do bug deflectors really cause that much in wind resistance?
Looks like a test in the works. The scan gauge should be able to show a difference........ (?) :shrug:
btw: Good job!!! Looks GREAT !!!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts