Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So every other month or so I get a nice big flyer in from the dealer with coupons for service, parts etc. Some are really good like oil change for $26.95. Then I scroll through and see this:

15,000 Mile Interval Service
- Lube, Oil anf Filter Change
- Visual Safety Inspection
- Top off all fluid Levels
- Set Tire pressures
- Complete Brake Inspection
- Test Battery
- Rotate and balance Tires
- Replace Fuel Filter
- Replace Air Filter
- Car Wash
$220.00 :hyst:

First off I don't even think the fuel filter or air filter need to be changed (not 100 % positive until I check the manual) until 30,000 miles. Figure $60 in parts (oil, filter, fuel filter, air filter) and the other $160 is for labor that takes 10 minutes? Wow. Don't get me wrong, I really like my dealer. I get 6 free oil changes and 3 rotations (30,000 miles of freebies) with the purchase but I have to wonder how many people bring it back at 15,000 miles and drop $220. :doh:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
RIP OFF!!!!!! :fire: I get those to and if you look in the mailers in the mail box youll find shops offering pretty much the same thing. But not all offers are rip offs. Like the oil change for $26 thats ok. They use a syntheic blend.

·
Registered
178 Posts
At 6 mos, 5000 miles, I took my Escape to the dealer and used a coupon. They did just about everything on your list, except the last three, air filter changes and carwash. I think I paid about $25 and they gave me some credits toward my "next" service.

Overall I was pleased, but they took almost two hours. It's not like the quick-lube places where it only takes about 10 minutes. In fact the main reason I took it to the dealer was so they would rotate the tires.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
sinister mob said:
So every other month or so I get a nice big flyer in from the dealer with coupons for service, parts etc. Some are really good like oil change for $26.95. Then I scroll through and see this:

15,000 Mile Interval Service
- Lube, Oil anf Filter Change
- Visual Safety Inspection
- Top off all fluid Levels
- Set Tire pressures
- Complete Brake Inspection
- Test Battery
- Rotate and balance Tires
- Replace Fuel Filter
- Replace Air Filter
- Car Wash
$220.00 :hyst:

First off I don't even think the fuel filter or air filter need to be changed (not 100 % positive until I check the manual) until 30,000 miles. Figure $60 in parts (oil, filter, fuel filter, air filter) and the other $160 is for labor that takes 10 minutes? Wow. Don't get me wrong, I really like my dealer. I get 6 free oil changes and 3 rotations (30,000 miles of freebies) with the purchase but I have to wonder how many people bring it back at 15,000 miles and drop $220. :doh:
What the :censor:? I did my 15K today and this what my invoice says:

Labor: 98.80
Parts 71.15 (taxed at 7.28%)
Misc charges: 12.11
Total: 182.06
Dealership coupons: 45.49 ($10 off service, $0.99 oil change special)
Sales tax: 5.18
Please pay: 141.75

$220 is outrageous. They don't even change your wiper blades on that list. (There's apparently a wiper special either at the corporate or dealership level.) The coupons always seem to come at the right time, and I'm not going to complain about the price I paid for the service.

$71.15 parts breakdown
- oil filter, list 9.76, total 5.50
- wipers, list 20.91, total 29.90
- air cleaner, list 4031, total 21.95
- oil, list 2.30, total 13.80

When they fixed my axle seal, they failed to adjust my alignment so I got a "free" four-wheel alignment with my 15K and warranty repair. The joys.

Apparently I missed a coupon on FLMowner.com that is good for two Motorcraft wipers at $20 for the pair. I paid $30 for my pair. Oh well.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think we all agree dealer service departments are rip-offs. I remember buying a Subaru in the early 1990's. It came with a factory service booklet, showing everything that needed to be done, and when. It also came with a locally printed service booklet prepared by the dealer - which added in all sorts of crap not in the official Subaru booklet. Needless to say the one from the dealer found the bottom of the trash can the first day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts