Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting winter tires for my Escape and was looking at the 1007J or the 1007H but the description on the Ford part site confuses me. Is it a mini spare rim or a full size rim? I want to get just plain steel rims for the winter so I dont jack up my good wheels. Can anyone give me some insight on what I need to get so I can go to the German Ford Dealer and request the correct part?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info!

Ok another question here :blush:

My Escape is equipped with the TPMS, will those work? or do I have to get wheels that are equipped with TPMS? Do they make steel rims with the TPMS? :confused:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Nope, tire pressure monitors will not work with the winter steel wheels.

I just do without them for the few months we have winter tires on. (like the good old days when you had to check your tire pressure by hand :) )

Pat

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I honestly dont rely on the TPMS, it just happened to come with my Escape. TPMS works to a point but nothing that I would bet my life upon. But with that said, will it cause problems since my Escape is equipped with it or do I just have to deal with the light on?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Apologies Katscan!!!
My comment was not pointed at you.
It was rather a statement expressing my outmost disgust toward the electronics mania that the auto industry has dived into over the past two decades.
Now for that light.Could you not pull the fuse out so that the light would not stay on continuously?Just guessing.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:D
Hehe no worries man, no offense taken! :)P

I was, in a way, agreeing with you. Its a nifty gadget but not something I rely on to tell me when my tires are low on air. lol I can usually look at my tires and tell if they are low.

Now, I know how the system works(in a sense) but how is it connected? If I get wheels that are not TPMS equipped....will there be a connector just hanging about that I will have to secure and cover so water/ect. wont get in and damage it?

·
Registered
274 Posts
There are no connectors, there are RFID transmitters in the rims.

If you do not have the transmitters there (like with the winter rims), the "low tire pressure" light will come on in the dash and that's all...

Pat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys just joined after searching for 5T2Z-1015-EA and led me to this page. I am looking at buying these wheels to go with Michelin X Ice tires and just wondering if anyone has a picture of them on their Escape.

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi,
I recently put on the snow shoes on my escape. The tire pressure light came on, as expected. But for last few days, no light, no warning, no bells.
I'm thinking that after a certain amount of time resetting the alert, the computer gets the message that there are no sensors to look for.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Saskescape said:
Hi Guys just joined after searching for 5T2Z-1015-EA and led me to this page. I am looking at buying these wheels to go with Michelin X Ice tires and just wondering if anyone has a picture of them on their Escape.

Cheers,
Chris
Voila my friend! Those rims with Michelin X-Ice tires mounted on them :hi:

Pat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the pic. My 08 Limited is Silver as well so it's a good representation for me. They do look pretty good for winter rims.

Any thoughts on the performance of the Michelins? I am still hemming and hawing over the cost of buying winter tires for the first time in my life, but we have already had quite the dump of snow in SK so am thinking a little more about the safety aspect. They will prob be sold out by the time I make up my mind!

Thanks again for your reply,
Chris

·
Registered
274 Posts
Saskescape said:
Any thoughts on the performance of the Michelins?
They are pretty decent!

They are mainly ice tires and they also do quite well in snow. They are not too noisy on dry pavement. Just be sure to only have them on in winter (around freezing and below) as like most ice tires the rubber compound is quite soft and will wear out in no time in warmer temperatures.

Pat

1 - 16 of 16 Posts