Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just about an hour ago I was on my way back home from work. I was taking a left turn at a light and as I was going through my left hand side wheel turn completely right (right side wheel was pointed along with the steering wheel). I wasn't going to fast but the tired screeched 'til i stopped. I figured it was an issue with the left hand strut but I wasn't sure? Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Roshan said:
Yep that was it. I just went out to look at it during the day and saw the tie rod hanging there. Do you know how much it would be to replace it?
if you can do it yourself it might even be cheaper then the tow truck.

i just put 2004 cause i didnt read what year yours was before i opened this site, but they re usually similarly priced

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/searc ... ame:Brakes\%2C+Suspension+%26+Steering,wpn_cat_name:Steering+Systems+%26+Components,wpn_scat_name:Tie+Rods)

ive never ordered from that site, it was just a random one, but it gives you an idea on the price of the part

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
If the jam nut is still tight on the old tie rod end, count the number of turns to get the old one off. Clamp onto the tie rod itself instead of the tie rod end while loosening the jam nut, or you will end up turning the tie rod inside the end and lose track of how many turns there were.

That should get you into the ballpark for alignment. You will still need to get a proper alignment done afterwards, but this will keep you from dragging a tire down the road.

I'm assuming the outer tie rod end failed - if the spindle is still stuck inside the knuckle, you will need a puller or "tie rod-end tool," which looks like a combination between a clamp and a pipe cutter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts