Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need advice. Shop just diagnosed the drips on the drive underneath by 01 XLT V-6 4wd as a worn out rack and estimated repairs at $600 including alignment. Truck has about 105K so not upset (it's been a great vehicle) but am wondering about doing this job myself. Anything possible, I know, but what's the advice of those who have already tackled?
Thanks
Tom H
Colorado Springs, CO

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've had amazing results with Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak on more than one occasion. If you only lost a couple of tablespoons, I'd suggest giving it a try.

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=28&catid=9&loc=show

-SPARKZZ
"It's deja-vu all over again"

P.S. - Re-reading your post where you say "the length of the rack is wet", I'd also suggest spraying it down with engine cleaner and hosing it off and watching it to confirm where the leak is coming from. Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE it's not a line, fitting or something else dripping from above?

"Department of Redundancy Department . . . .

I keep repeating myself,
I keep repeating myself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update. The rack is not a DIY project, at least not for the average home mechanic. For the last two days, a friend and ASE-certified tech has worked to remove and install a remanufactured rack in my Escape at an independent shop. He called it one of the most challenging jobs he's faced in years, requiring that the subframe be loosened, exhaust removed and driveshaft removed to create clearance to get the old rack out and a reman one in (all things the Ford manual fails to mention). He will bill me for six hours but I suspect he's got 10 in the job and that's with the advantage of a lift, air, $30,000 in tools and training that is far beyond my year of high school shop 20 years ago. I've seen the old rack (it will be returned for core charge tomorrow) and it was indeed a mess and far beyond any sort of stop leak repair. My counsel is to 1) Get several estimates. Shop price but also experience with the Escape. Plan on spending $500-800. 2) Plan on additional work beyond the rack. My outer tie rod ends (originals) were also replaced as was a transmission mount. My pressure line was good but yours may not be. You'll also need an alignment.
No rants or complaints here. This is the first actual repair (everything else to date has been maintenance or expected wear items like brakes and belts) to my now almost nine year old Escape (01 XLT V6 4wd) with a little more than 100,000 miles. It's the first time that someone other than me has even touched it. It has been a great truck and now with a new rack, tie rod ends, tranny mount and an alignment drives like new. Here's to another 100,000.

Tom H
Colorado Springs, CO

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.