Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

Steering Wheel Squeaks

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  SUVord 
#1 ·
Hello fellas and thank you for listening to my problem. My wifes 2002 steering wheel is starting to squeak like crazy especially when it's cold. Has anyone experienced this noise before. It sounds like an old attic door closing. The Escaper has 84000 miles on her, also is an XLT. Thanks again for the view.

#4 ·
1/Supposing that the steering in this 2002 Escape did not squeak untill recently I would first look into the strut mounts bearings and the struts themselves.Thankfully there is an easy way to check this.Apply high pressure water up in the front strut wells and see if the squeak is gone or deminished considerably.If the answer is yes, the two bearings have to be changed.I would change both strut mounts as well since the struts have to come out and it will save me labour cost in the future.
2/Normally worn bushing of the sway bar links and of the sway bar itself do produce some squeaking initially before going rally bad and start banging at the slightest pothole.
Good luck and please keep us informed with your progress.

#5 ·
Thanks for the come back fellas but the "Ole Bear" found the noisey source and fixed it! It was the outer Tie Rod Ends. I had a friend turn the steering wheel back and forth slowly while I listened to the front end lying on my side. You can fix it with Cable Lube sold at NAPA. by punching a hole in the protective boots and spraying cable lube into the joint. Plug the hole with a liquid rubber compound. Works every time!! lol! I intend to replace the TRE's when it gets warmer for a proper fix!!

#6 ·
coldbear said:
Thanks for the come back fellas but the "Ole Bear" found the noisey source and fixed it! It was the outer Tie Rod Ends. I had a friend turn the steering wheel back and forth slowly while I listened to the front end lying on my side. You can fix it with Cable Lube sold at NAPA. by punching a hole in the protective boots and spraying cable lube into the joint. Plug the hole with a liquid rubber compound. Works every time!! lol! I intend to replace the TRE's when it gets warmer for a proper fix!!
Thanks for the info :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.