Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back to the 2004 Escape Ltd...

Since I've had the car, and as long as I can remember while it was my family member's, the steering wheel has vibrated when you're doing around 70mph or so. The car seems like it's properly aligned because it doesn't pull any direction if I'm not on the wheel. Another random thing is that the tires squeal all the time when I'm pulling into parking spaces. I'll write that off as the continentals being noisy combined with the awd.

Any thoughts on the steering?

·
Registered
438 Posts
The vibration can be any number of things such as.....

Warped Brake rotors, worn shocks, steering rack bushings, stabilizer bushings, tie rod ends, etc.
Worn or out of balance tires, alignment.
Your vehicle can still track straight but be out of alignment.

Some tire squeal is normal.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
LX302 said:
The vibration can be any number of things such as.....

Warped Brake rotors, worn shocks, steering rack bushings, stabilizer bushings, tie rod ends, etc.
Worn or out of balance tires, alignment.
Your vehicle can still track straight but be out of alignment.

Some tire squeal is normal.
+100
If there is no feeling of lateral movement at all in the drivers seat, the most probable cause could be the steering rack support and or its bushings or the two sway bar bushings.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Tang said:
Hope it's not this kind of tire squeal! :lol:

LOL!!!

I hope the smoke is from rubber burning but it might be from an overheated tranny lol.

That poor tranny..........

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha thanks for all the suggestions. It's not the brakes, it's more just when I'm going fast. it's not bad, but I'll get the alignment checked next time I have a chance, and hope it's something as simple as that/tire rotation

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
You may or may not want to get it looked at sooner... that or just don't drive as fast.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I'll aim to do that Saturday. I'm still having my odd issue where my car thinks it has automatic headlights... but doesn't. the lights turn on at night, and not during the day, but the switch does nothing. I can control them when they're off, but can't shut them off once the car decides to put them on. Cars with personalities... dangerous.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.