Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I've been reading through here on all the different stereos you guys talk about, but I just wanted to know what suggestions you'd have for a 05 Ford Escape XLT. It doesn't have to be a touch screen, I'd just like something that looks "nice" in the car, something that blends well with the rest of the car and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. All I want is a CD player, 3.5mm Aux input, and a USB connector if possible. Thanks guys, and if you have pictures, that would be so great, if not, I could always look them up. :yahoo:

·
Registered
11 Posts
To start what size of HU are you interested in and what kind of budget? If you are looking for something simple and relatively inexpensive Kenwod makes some single DIN HU's that have an aux and USB port right on the front like this one.

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_113KDCX494/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X494.html?tp=5684

My opinion is that double DIN units look "cleaner" and just all around better. The downside for those could be the fact that there is slight modification that is needed to make them fit (covered extensivly in other threads).

·
Registered
836 Posts
I think a single DIN with a spare storage space looks better in the older centers. The new ones (2008+) line up better with a double DIN. Just my opinion of course. With that depending on your budget and current set-up (as in already have a new bezel or not?) there are a lot of units out there to meet your needs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I just I'll go with a single DIN because I'm a little antsy (and lazy) about modifying the console, or buying an aftermarket one. The thing about the single DINs is so many of them "look" the same with flashy lights, and an usual "busy" feel to it on an otherwise simple dash. I was also considering some of those flip up screens, but couldn't find any that I really liked, and didn't force me to have the screen to pop out for me to use the radio (if the screen had to be out to use the radio, whats the point of it folding out?). Thanks so far!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I've done a lot of internet browsing and a lot of reading. The few things I want in my stereo is:

1) The ability to mesh well with the interior (since it is all backlit with green).
2) Aux port (and a USB is also great, but not a dealbreaker).
3) Bluetooth connectivity mostly for phone calls and/or audio streaming. It is illegal now in Connecticut to drive and talk on the phone. I have a Nexus One, so the bluetooth tie shouldn't be a problem.

I have come to the conclusion of two possible single DIN stereos are.

JVC KD-R810
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-Color-Illumin ... 233&sr=1-1

Sony MEX-BT3800U
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032F ... d_i=507846

I like the Sony for everything it has, except that it is blue!!! And the JVC is nice with completely customizable colors, but to me the "look" isn't as clean, and there are no "Preset" buttons, which isn't too much of a pain, but have a few buttons for radio station selection is nice rather than clicking up and down through them.

I wanted to see what you guys think as you are much more knowledgeable about this than I. Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I went ahead and purchased neither of those above, I got The Alpine CDE-103BT. Although I'm not the biggest fan of the overall look of Alpines, it has interchangable colors (red, blue, green, amber), integrated bluetooth, USB, Aux port, and a plain white/black face, which I like because its much easier to read in night and sunlight. Now all I have to do is find a place to put the external mic for the phone. Thanks for your thoughts guys. Here is a link to the stereo if you're curious:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001N2 ... ss_product

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi everyone!

Okay, I received everything and got it installed. I figured I would share some pictures on how the stereo looks. I took day shots, as well as two night shots to show both the colors in red and green (the two prominent colors on the dash). Hope this can help anyone!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nice install. I definetly agree with Sinister Mob, Single DIN looks better in the older models.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts