Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
newbie here. just bought an 08 escape. will get some picts up shortly now that i finally got to register. but it has the stock 6 disc changer w/ sat and aux buttons but no sat receiver. i really want to add the sat radio since my bro has sirius and i can add to his plan for like 7 or 8 bucks a month. but i also really want to add the navigation to it at the same time. anything i need to watch out for when buying a factory navigation? anything extra i need or will have to buy? i know the sat module, gps module and unit itself. but is there any plug adapters or any extra wires i need? and does anyone have any of these parts they want to part w/? or know where i can get them at a decent price?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well i located a sirius module and antennae from a 08 escape. so im going to use this for the time being since i really dont have the extra cash to get an indash nav unit. and since i have a portable one anyways im not too pressed to get one. anyone know where this module mounts? how to run the wire for the antennae and where it is mounted on the car? any help is appreciated.

thanks

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Sorry that I missed this one!

The Sirius module is located under the passenger seat, and the antenna runs up the right-side (passenger) A-pillar and into the front right side of the headliner.

Sirius module: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1618

Sirius antenna cable: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1622

·
Registered
4 Posts
ok im in the middle of doing this, and this is my first post as well by the way...

there are some things you need to watch out for...

i bought a navi unit out of a freestyle, and even with re-programming it will not communicate with the upper display. The only way it seems to be able to work is if you buy any nav unit out of the escape (provided you have an 08, you will need one that is for an 08).

everything is functional, but the hard keys will not change color to the ice blue color.... so you have to keep your eyes out for one that came from escape, i cant stress it enough, cause this will be the second head unit i have bought.... uuuuuuuhhhhhg so frustrating!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Welcome to E-C!

What year was the Freestyle? If the nav unit doesn't look like Ford's newer nav units, it won't work with the FDIM module in the '08 Escape and Focus, even though the pinouts are the same.

BTW, the LEDs in the head unit are one color. I changed the LEDs in my Edge's nav unit to blue, but they're much brighter than the blue LEDs that Ford uses in the factory nav units now in the Escape and Focus. They're also much brighter than the insanely dim green LEDs that were inside my '07 Edge's nav unit.

If you want to change the nav unit LEDs, it's a little difficult, but I did it in about three hours. I used LiteOn LTST-C170TBKT 0805-sized blue LEDs (http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... -1579-1-ND). These are VERY tiny LEDs (2mm x 1.5mm), so do this only if you've worked with SMD devices before. If you do use these blue LEDs, you could also change the resistors to higher values to match the dimmer blue of Ford's factory lighting for the '08 Escape.

Here's the switch and LED board:

Here's a close-up of two existing green LEDs on the board (D3425 and D3426), and the new blue LED, not yet installed (next to "S43"):

The resistors for the LEDs are on the back of the board:

Before:

After:

·
Registered
4 Posts
its came out of a 2008 freestyle... it looks exactly like the one on the showroom floor... but i guess i just didnt luck out... i found one from an escape hybrid and its being shipped out on monday, so i hope that fixes the problem

dude you and me will be chatting non stop cause it looks like you have all the technical resources that i want!!! lol

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:thumb:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jpark...so the sirius module gets mounted under the seat. is there a cable i can look for to see if i have already? if not is it already hooked to the stereo? or what cable do i need to hook it up? and how does that cable run? or will there be room to mount it where the stereo is now so i dont have to run it under the seat? or is this not too bad of a job?

thanks

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
First, look under the passenger seat for an opening in the carpet. If there is one, fish around for an electrical connector. The factory Sirius electrical connector will have 12 pins, and the factory antenna cable will have a round connector. If you didn't have factory Sirius, you won't have the antenna cable, but you may still see the electrical connector for it.

Here are the part numbers for the factory antenna cable and the roof mounted antenna:

8L8Z-19A397-A is the antenna cable (about $15)
8L8Z-10E893-A is the antenna (about $85), which includes the mounting bolt, and mounts through a hole in the roof

The service DVD doesn't show dimensions or measurements for the hole, so you'd need to find an '08 or newer Escape with Sirius and take some measurements for the antenna location.

Here's the antenna diagram again: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1622

Please let me know if you find the 12-pin connector! If it's already there, I wouldn't try to mount the Sirius module anywhere else.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have the antennae and cable that i purchased w/ the module. but it doesnt seem that i have the wire for the module under my seat. i have that black box, but nothing coming out of it or inside of it. or does it come out or something? how hard is it to run that cable? and do you know a price on it? or could it be hooked to the stereo now and not ran? thanks

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
It looks like the power and audio cable to the Sirius module is a separate part, which is good news. It runs from the Sirius module (connector C2400) to a 16-pin connector located under the center of the instrument panel, in front of the center console (C260). I don't have that part number right now, but I'll try to get it today.

Can you see if you have the C260 connector? It won't have anything connnected to it.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
It turns out that Ford doesn't list a separate part number for the Sirius module's power/audio cable. It's only available as a part of the main wiring assembly, or as a part of Ford's Sirius accessory kit.

But there are two ways around this. First, there's an audio outfitter in Michigan that may have the factory cable as a separate part. I'm waiting for an answer. Second, it's probably easy to make a cable using two of Ford's pigtail connectors (WPT-647 for the Sirius module, and I'd need to find another one to connect to C260) and running wires between them.

More later...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks...youre awesome and the best. keep me posted and ill let you know if i have that connector in there or what i have after i pull the radio.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:thumb:

If you find that 16-pin connector under the center of the instrument panel, and it's actually connected to something, take another look for the connector near the Sirius module.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
according to this diagram it really doesnt look like its actually coming from that black box under the seat. i know the cables for the seat arent. am i wrong on this? is the sirius supposed to come through that box?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
The audio for Sirius is definitely provided by the Sirius module. That module has only two connectors: one for the antenna, and one that contains power, network, and audio feeds (C2400). It processes all Sirius audio, it feeds the track, channel, and other display information over the "Module Communications Network", and it provides the audio, all to connector C260, then to connector C240B (the 16-pin connector) on the back of the head unit.

Here's the wiring diagram: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1594

If you can remove the head unit and the 16-pin connector, you should see the following four wires:

VIOLET with BROWN STRIPE (right channel output, +)
YELLOW with BLUE STRIPE (right channel output, -)
GREEN with ORANGE STRIPE (left channel output, +)
BLUE with BROWN STRIPE (left channel output, -)

If you can't get a factory audio cable, and you can't find either of the connectors shown above, I can tell you how to connect the proper wires to a Ford Accessory Pigtail connector, WPT-647, which will plug right into the Sirius module.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so i pulled out my head unit...and i do not see the c260 connector behind the unit....and my 16pin connector into the stereo does not have any of those 4 wires. i found the sirius module cable, so i have it, the antennae, sirius module, and mounting bracket....the whole set up. just cant hook it up now. and my stereo has the sat function. is there anyway to hook this up? i took a few picts of what i saw if needed....but i dont have those wires goin to the head unit.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
any help on this?

thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts